eBook Responsiveness

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an eBook using multi-state objects for modular navigation.

After a couple of minutes of not using the eBook, the interface buttons become unresponsive with about 12 seconds to wait before they respond.

Is there something i could do to improve this?

The issue happened on a previous edit, and I think that was fixed by placing the two layers with navigation at the top of the document.

Now, the issue has happened again, i think it might be due to using a third party plugin to "paste into all states" of an mso.

TOPICS
EPUB, Performance, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term eBook is the generic term for digital documents covering a number of formats - which format is yours?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ePub, thanks for the clarification request.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Presumable FXL ePub, not Reflowable ePub?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What epub reader app are you using to view this epub? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fascinating question, i like it.

i should mention however the issue is with the "paste into all layers" option made available by a third party script with InDesign.

after removing the two .psd images from nine screens of two two multi state objects that were placed using this third party script, the unresponsiveness of the ePub document is no longer happening.

Apple Books is the viewing software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the problem, InDesign or with the EPUB itself?

I've had no issue at all with Object States Assistant, which I assume is the product you're referring to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem, thanks.

The multi-state objects are nested, and required a few weeks of thought and work to accomplish a functioning modular navigation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Bob for your reply.

I found the unresponsiveness "issue" happened again tonight, and then just realised there were two versions of the same ePub file open at the same time.

It's most likely this was the reason for the few seconds of unresponsiveness, and not anything to do with the Object States Assistant. And nor is the placement of the navigation as regards layers in the project file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice of words is what's throwing this off.

These are not epub files but InDesign layouts that are targets for epub export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you want to deliver this file to readers?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines