Highlighted

Edit an existing anchored object

Contributor ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Using ID CC 15.0.3 and Win10 (updated).

I have a book that includes many anchored objects -- sidebars, quotations, little graphics to make them look nice... they're all dressed up and tightly organized.

The client asks for edits. YES! I can directly edit the text in the text boxes included in the anchored object -- to the extent that the text does not overset. Even so, there does not seem to be a way to "adjust" -- for lack of a better word -- the contents. For example, I can't ungroup the fancy-dan assembly of little dressy graphics to move them around, or make the text box larger or smaller to accommodate the edits without completely deleting and recreating the anchored object. 

I would guess that I'm missing a technique here. Achored Object | Release only pounds the object into place. Copying (or cutting) the anchored object and putting it temporarily on the pasteboard for surgery doesn't allow me to do anything different. I would prefer to edit to make a 2-or-3-word change in a sidebar... but I can't if I have to move anything or if the text oversets.

Are there any suggestions, or is Best Practice to delete and start over when an anchored frame needs more than a quickie spell-fix?

Thanks.

-j

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Edit an existing anchored object

Contributor ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Using ID CC 15.0.3 and Win10 (updated).

I have a book that includes many anchored objects -- sidebars, quotations, little graphics to make them look nice... they're all dressed up and tightly organized.

The client asks for edits. YES! I can directly edit the text in the text boxes included in the anchored object -- to the extent that the text does not overset. Even so, there does not seem to be a way to "adjust" -- for lack of a better word -- the contents. For example, I can't ungroup the fancy-dan assembly of little dressy graphics to move them around, or make the text box larger or smaller to accommodate the edits without completely deleting and recreating the anchored object. 

I would guess that I'm missing a technique here. Achored Object | Release only pounds the object into place. Copying (or cutting) the anchored object and putting it temporarily on the pasteboard for surgery doesn't allow me to do anything different. I would prefer to edit to make a 2-or-3-word change in a sidebar... but I can't if I have to move anything or if the text oversets.

Are there any suggestions, or is Best Practice to delete and start over when an anchored frame needs more than a quickie spell-fix?

Thanks.

-j

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of a page, and give one example of what you would like to do and how you are doing it that is giving you trouble?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nedlaw LATEST
Contributor ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An example, sure. Here is am image of a typical quote used in the report.

anchored_frame.png

This one isn't a specific problem, but there are bunches of these (and similar items) in this particular report, and occasionally they need editing after they've been created -- and I've had the issue in other docs for ages. Note that there is a text box, and above and below the text box are two nice little quotation graphics. Then the client says, "Mr. Bree would like to add two sentences to his quotation." I'm fine wsith that. But two sentences creates an overset in the text box -- I can't just "type them in." They won't appear. The text box cannot be individually selected and its size cannot be changed while in the anchored frame (apparently). I cannot select the quotation mark graphics to move them in order to make the text box bigger. I can copy (or cut) the entire anchored frame and put it onto the pastboard... but even then, I can't ungroup the items because they are inside an anchored frame. I can copy the text and paste it into another text box. The only solution I have come up with for a change of this magnitude is to re-create the anchored frame with the newly edited text and re-insert it into the document in a new anchored text frame, deleting the old one. It would be a lot easier if I were able to edit these items in situ. Yes, I can add or delete a word or two, if the text frame is not too tight... but remember, I can't make it any bigger or any smaller. Or... I don't know how to. Hence my post.

So, is there a better solution than to re-create the entire anchored frame each time one of these already laid-out sidebars/decorative quotations changes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines