• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editable PDF for non-Adobe user?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client looking for a 50 page planner design, but they would want it as an editable digital version rather than for printing. The client doesn't have access to the Adobe Suite, so I was wondering if there's a functionality that would allow for an editable PDF with text boxes to write in on their default Windows programs, and if so, which Windows program would allow for this and what would be the way to set-up the export or in-file settings in InDesign to allow for this.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

You might be better off setting this up in Word. Export the parts you don't want to be edited as PNG or PDF graphics then import them into Word in the same position as in the InDesign file. For the editable parts use Word’s normal text features. For a long document PDF is not going to work. You can't flow text from form fields one one page to form fields on another, and forms are the only way to add editability to a PDF from InDesign.

Either way you go it is going to be a lot of work, time, an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

As long as the client doesn't need to change the layout, you could create a form in Acrobat with text form fields that they can write in, and save it as a PDF. All they would need in order to write inside the boxes (the text fields)  is the free Adobe Reader, and maybe they would be willing to install that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Collaborating on design with people who don’t want to use the same apps is a common requirement but it’s just a dream. Agree on one app and both use it. Word I expect. You can design and place quality graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

You can create a Word form or a PDF form, I suggest you have one or the other.

I suggest you create a two or three page test form in InDesign/Acrobat Pro and show it to your customer to see if s/he likes it and that it meets their needs. Explain that it will work best in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be better off setting this up in Word. Export the parts you don't want to be edited as PNG or PDF graphics then import them into Word in the same position as in the InDesign file. For the editable parts use Word’s normal text features. For a long document PDF is not going to work. You can't flow text from form fields one one page to form fields on another, and forms are the only way to add editability to a PDF from InDesign.

Either way you go it is going to be a lot of work, time, and money to give your client something that they will certainly, inevitibly, screw up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the client doesn't need to change the layout, you could create a form in Acrobat with text form fields that they can write in, and save it as a PDF. All they would need in order to write inside the boxes (the text fields)  is the free Adobe Reader, and maybe they would be willing to install that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collaborating on design with people who don’t want to use the same apps is a common requirement but it’s just a dream. Agree on one app and both use it. Word I expect. You can design and place quality graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a Word form or a PDF form, I suggest you have one or the other.

I suggest you create a two or three page test form in InDesign/Acrobat Pro and show it to your customer to see if s/he likes it and that it meets their needs. Explain that it will work best in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Appreciate the great responses everyone, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines