Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a PDF - Beginner Style Question

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I'm familiar with InDesign, but haven't used it in well over a year. I have a pdf of a sponsorship packet that someone else created, but I need to edit the text. JUST the text, I might have to move the text boxes around to get it proportionate to what I'm adding. 

Would it be best to do this in InDesign, or what version of adobe should I be using?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

InDesign won't edit a PDF. You could try Illustrator, but it's not intended to edit PDFs created by other programs, so your results will vary, and if you don't have the fonts, you will need to find them or find substitutes. Also, blocks of text may be broken into bits that can break in the middle of a word, so it's really a last resort. If you can get what ever file was used to create the PDF, that would be the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Best practice is that you get the InDesign files from him, and you edit it with the same version of InDesign. If it was created by, for example CS3 and you have the latest version, there might be some text flow that changes because the text engine is updated from time to time, but it's just something to look out for and not something that will kill the job. You will need him to package the file and send you the images and fonts, although legally you would need to own your own versions of the fon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign won't edit a PDF. You could try Illustrator, but it's not intended to edit PDFs created by other programs, so your results will vary, and if you don't have the fonts, you will need to find them or find substitutes. Also, blocks of text may be broken into bits that can break in the middle of a word, so it's really a last resort. If you can get what ever file was used to create the PDF, that would be the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, he says he made it the file in InDesign, so I need his base file to
edit and re-upload to InDesign after done editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best practice is that you get the InDesign files from him, and you edit it with the same version of InDesign. If it was created by, for example CS3 and you have the latest version, there might be some text flow that changes because the text engine is updated from time to time, but it's just something to look out for and not something that will kill the job. You will need him to package the file and send you the images and fonts, although legally you would need to own your own versions of the fonts (or buy copies). I'm not saying that people don't share fonts witout buying them, but it's not allowed in the EULA of most fonts that are for sale. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm basically deleting the majority of the text, and starting over. Just
trying to make sure I go about it in the most simple way, since I'm not an
advanced creator at the moment! These tips are all incredibly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines