• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

editing vector images data merge

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help concerning handling graphics when using data merge.

I'm using data merge to make a custom agenda and I was wondering which image file should I use so I can edit the colours separately on the final records...

I'm working with vector files, solid colours with 20% opacity sometimes. I tried .svg but the pictures didn't even load, eps worked fine but I can't edit... I have a good deal of graphics (ones for holidays and events and ones for moon phases) so changing the colours manually and putting them on the csv file would take ages... Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thank you in advance 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

1. InDesign doesn't support SVG graphics as a vector format. Instead of saving as SVG, to use the graphics as a vector object, just save as an Adobe Illustrator AI or .eps file.

2. You Can't edit placed vector graphics directy in InDesign you'll need to edit the original in it's native application.

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike! Thanks for your reply!

I did save the graphics as eps, but using data merge I can't edit the colour directly from InDesign. I'll try and save them as ai file and see if that's possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry, it's not possible, you'll need to edit the original files in their native application.

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Mike Bro 

InDesign doesn't support SVG graphics as a vector format.

This is no more true since InDesign 2020

Instead of saving as SVG, to use the graphics as a vector object, just save as an Adobe Illustrator AI or .eps file

Avoid eps, which is an obsolete format: no transparency, no icc profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hasnal98708174,

you mentioned graphics for holidays, events and moon phases.

If the graphics are monochrome you could use rendered high res pixel images from vector graphics and save them as 1-Bit TIFF images that you can color with InDesign. But that's far from being automated.

Full automation could be achieved if you create a special font where the icons are represented as glyphs.

See into Jongware's IndyFont script for InDesign if you want to create a font with the icons.

https://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndyFont

You could automate coloring the glyphs with data merge, because you could add GREP Styles to the text that trigger formatting to the glyphs, character styles where that special font and a color swatch is applied.

Note: Placed SVG graphics are in sRGB.

Forget that format if you need for example a 100% CMYK Black.

Placed SVG files are not editable in InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data Merge + SVG graphic + Transparency should all work.

A few things to try:

- keep all graphics in same folder, save data file (.csv or .txt) in graphic folder.

- make sure to have @ in the data source header for image "@images"

- place all elements on master page.

- make the frame holding graphic image 20% transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I just read "edit" in the original post, and that can not be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines