• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Element not showing up in InDesign, but does in PDF

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing an issue where an element has dissapeared from view in InDesign, but still shows up in the PDF. I have checked that all my layers are visible. Please see screenshots  - screenshot #1 is in InDesign, screenshot #2 is the PDF with the missing element highlighted. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Enthusiast , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

What application are you using to view the PDF—Acrobat, Preview, web browser, other? Of those, Acrobat is the only one that reliably displays PDFs created in InDesign.

I've seen similar results to what you're getting when an element on a master page would show up in PDFs viewed on a web browser, even though the element was overriden and not used on the actual page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Hi,

check in your Layers panel if you can find the element on your InDesign page.

An individual element can be set to not visible or to not printable. That is independent of the settings of a distinct layer.

You have to look into the layer itself.

Please also show a screenshot of the page in Normal View mode where frame edges are visible and hidden characters are showing. Overprint Preview should be turned off. Best use the forum's "Insert Photos" widget instead doing an attachment of the scre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

To elaborate on the good information above, some PDF viewers will show all layers and elements in a PDF, even if they are turned off, so Acrobat & Reader (with the overprint preview preference set to Always) are the only reliable PDF viewers.

If an element in InDesign is set to non-printing (Window> Output> Attributes) it won't appear in InDesign when Overprint Preview is on, but it will appear on the exported PDF, when Include Non-Printing Objects is checked on.

Another possibility is the objec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you using to view the PDF—Acrobat, Preview, web browser, other? Of those, Acrobat is the only one that reliably displays PDFs created in InDesign.

I've seen similar results to what you're getting when an element on a master page would show up in PDFs viewed on a web browser, even though the element was overriden and not used on the actual page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

check in your Layers panel if you can find the element on your InDesign page.

An individual element can be set to not visible or to not printable. That is independent of the settings of a distinct layer.

You have to look into the layer itself.

Please also show a screenshot of the page in Normal View mode where frame edges are visible and hidden characters are showing. Overprint Preview should be turned off. Best use the forum's "Insert Photos" widget instead doing an attachment of the screenshot. Thanks.

What are your PDF Export settings that created the PDF?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate on the good information above, some PDF viewers will show all layers and elements in a PDF, even if they are turned off, so Acrobat & Reader (with the overprint preview preference set to Always) are the only reliable PDF viewers.

If an element in InDesign is set to non-printing (Window> Output> Attributes) it won't appear in InDesign when Overprint Preview is on, but it will appear on the exported PDF, when Include Non-Printing Objects is checked on.

Another possibility is the object is in a spot color and that color is turned off in InDesign Separations Preview.

You might also check the object layer options of the link, although the hidden layer would not normally be included in the exported PDF.

You can probably fix the existing PDF so it works in all PDF viewers by optimizing it in Acrobat to remove the hidden layers.

Discard hidden layers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just had this happen to me. After trying all the solutions shown here to no avail, turns out I had items on the side of an Illustrator file that I had placed in my InDesign file. I had pulled the picture box over so it was cropping just part of the .ai file. But, in the pdf, all the items to the side of this graphic, though I couldn't see them in InDesign, were showing as invisible boxes in the pdf. When I cropped the Illustrator graphic and got rid of all those items, the problem disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines