Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed Vimeo iFrame In Design ePub

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I am creating an ePub using latest version of In Design (Mac). I am wanting to embed an iframe to play video in several places within the book. The book is quite large and I simply do not want to add more MB with videos.

I have sucessfully created and embedded an iFrame to play You Tube videos. However when I attempt Vimeo I am receiving the following error when I export for ePub.

HTML pageitem : 1 may fail epub validation

Consequently the video does not appear or play in iBooks.

The embed code (that works) for You Tube is;

<iframe width="100%" height="100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Bv_Hh79zQg?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The embed code for Vimeo is;

<div style="padding:56.25% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/460863922?title=0&portrait=0" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

It creates an error.

I have edited the Vimeo script to;

<iframe width="100%" height="100%" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/460863922?

autoplay=1&title=0&portrait=0" controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" ></iframe>

The Vimeo video plays sucessfully in the In Design preview but does not allow ePub export without the error.

I am not a coding person. Would appreciate any help please. Really appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth also experimenting with InDesign's Publish Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek. Unfortunately it has to be an ePub to allow access via Apple Books and Google Books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brodes57 Did you find a solution to display video from Vimeo within ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning.

No - I have not found one yet…..

Ian J Brodie MNZM
Director
Ian Brodie Consulting Pty Ltd
76 Strinesdale Blvd
Aveley
WA 6069
Australia

M: +61 0472 646 401 (Australia)
M: +47 98 54 33 88 (Norway)
E: brodes@me.com
W: www.ianbrodie.net
W: www.ianbrodiephoto.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at CircularFLO: https://www.circularflo.com

Please don't include personal contact information on this public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried or heard of https://www.magplus.com/ an inDesign plugin as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't. Looking now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hefty price tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brodes57 I don't mean to make a song and dance about it but do we still have to use InDesign with 3rd parties to add videos, html and publish to HTML5? There's been mention of in5 and @Derek Cross mentions circularflo below. Interested to hear of any updates from those in the know. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, yes. It seems Adobe is not interested in opening up InDesign's HTML export to allow us users to generate a local working html version. Nor do they seem to be interested in updating the decade old interactive features. FXL epub is a bit of a lost battle at this point in time.

Sorry to be a downer. I love working in InDesign, but the lack of interactive features updates (a decade ago, and since then Adobe only removed options!) and proper html export, as well as Adobe's intent to lock our content down to allow html export via their servers only, has pushed me away from using it for interactive screen content. 

In5 is interesting, but too expensive and inaccessible to our students. And still rather limited anyway compared to what is now possible with other platforms.

I am actually considering dropping InDesign from my interactive publishing classes after the Summer. I just don't see the point anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning. You are so right - interactivity is being taken away - not added to.

May I ask what you suggest is an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else tried suggestion above by @Derek Cross ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines