• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded fonts in the Indesign documents. Is that possible?

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Some customers are sending me instructions manuals in Microsoft Word (seems to be incredible, but true, many companies use Word to create instructions manuals because it is very easy to use), but additionally, I've found that the Word documents can contain embedded fonts, without forcing me to install the fonts in my computer. So, if a customer is using the "Carlito font family" and send me an instructions manual in Word, when I open it, the document will use and show the "Carlito font" without forcing me to install it in my PC.

I'm wondering if may I do the same with Indesign CC 2021?

I mean, embedding some fonts present in my computer in the Indesign CC document I am creating, so when the customer opens the document in Indesign CC, he/she can use the fonts I've embedded, even if these fonts are not installed in the computer of the customer.

Is that possible? If so, how may I do that?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020
Simple answer: no.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer: no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to add to @BobLevine's obviously correct response, even for Microsoft Office, in order to be embeddable in an Office document, the font must have the installable embedability attribute (and also be a TrueType font). Very few commercial fonts have the installable embedability attribute. At best, they typically have preview and print embedability.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something to consider: As Adobe Fonts are available as part of CC subscriptions, if you use any of those in your document, then your client (under their own CC Sub) would also have access to them as well. No need to embed anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I cannot change the way the customers are sending the files, in fact, I cannot imagine an instructions manul designed in Microsoft Word, but the truth is many companies are doing this. Of course Word doesn't have the same editing and quality features that you can find in a DTP software like Indesign or Quark Xpress, but a lot of companies are doing this for convinience, because their employees know how to work with Word and they save training costs with Indesign or Quark Xpress. The profile of the customer is always the same, appliances maker, manufacturer of havy machines, retail customers to promote their local business, etc.

As regards to the embedded fonts, I don't know very well how this is working but in the last job I received, the customer sent me a Microsoft Word and all the fonts were embedded inside. I don't remember exactly the name of these fonts, but they were there and I don't needed to install anything.

Installing and removing fonts for every project, even if you use a fonts manager is a royal pain and gives a lot of headaches.

Perhaps Adobe doesn't like this for copyright purposes or to force people to purchase the fonts, don't know, but the thing is having the fonts embedded is very useful.

If I remember correctly, Indesign has a feature to "pack" all the files of a project including the fonts? but even so, you are forced to instal them. Indesign should embed all the fonts, in the same way we have this with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, Indesign has a feature to "pack" all the files of a project including the fonts?

Absolutely, yes

but even so, you are forced to instal them.

No, this is not true. When you package the file, fonts are copied in a “Document fonts” folder and you can use them (only for the packaged file) without having to install them. However, you have to check if this is allowed by the EULA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a tremendous difference between embedding fonts in a PDF file and embedding them in a source file (such as Word or as you would like to see, InDesign).

When fonts are embedded in PDF files, with one exception, the fonts have preview and print embedability specified in the font. Such fonts are normally subset-embedded (i.e., only the glyphs referenced are actually embedded in the PDF file) and the fonts are only used for display and print purposes. If you want to “edit” a PDF file, the embedded font is not used; you must install the original font on the system on which you are doing the editing. The exception is for fonts used in PDF forms fields. Those fonts must have editability embedability specified and are fully embedded for use for display, print, and entry/edit only of the forms fields using said fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines