Embedding fonts

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HU! I am using the font Beatnik SF in my indesign document, it seems just fine on my device, but as soon as I open the exported pdf on another machine where the font is not downloaded, it changes it completely- please help me out with a soultion to this or atleast how to embed the font while exporting and interactive pdf- ITS URGENT

This font doesn't appear to give you the option of purchasing a license to embed it into PDFs and EPUBs.

This also is a very old font, copyrighted in 1994. Font encoding has drastically since then, mainly using Unicode, the universal font character set and encoding.

Best advice: Find a better font. Any of those available through Adobe Fonts/Typekit inside InDesign are good choices, and come with a license to embed the fonts (without any additional $$$).

Also look at open source fonts from https://fonts.google.com/  These are free and allow you to embed them.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Embedding fonts

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HU! I am using the font Beatnik SF in my indesign document, it seems just fine on my device, but as soon as I open the exported pdf on another machine where the font is not downloaded, it changes it completely- please help me out with a soultion to this or atleast how to embed the font while exporting and interactive pdf- ITS URGENT

This font doesn't appear to give you the option of purchasing a license to embed it into PDFs and EPUBs.

This also is a very old font, copyrighted in 1994. Font encoding has drastically since then, mainly using Unicode, the universal font character set and encoding.

Best advice: Find a better font. Any of those available through Adobe Fonts/Typekit inside InDesign are good choices, and come with a license to embed the fonts (without any additional $$$).

Also look at open source fonts from https://fonts.google.com/  These are free and allow you to embed them.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 27, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear abut this. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? Does it happen with a specific file? This information would help us assist you accordingly.

You may also check out this community post for suggestions about embedding fonts. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The operating system: Windows 10 Home

InDesign: 2020

It happens across all files. I have designed my entire architectural portoflio based on it and I owuld really appreciate a soltuion so as to not lose out on my typefont aesthetic while exporting

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: "It happens across all files. "

Well, yeah, that would be the case with fonts. No matter which software program you use them in, you can't violate the font owner's copyright and embed the font without the correct license to do so.

Such a shame you didn't check out the license usage (end user license agreement) BEFORE you invested so much time using the font in your portfolio.

There is no free lunch, and no "free" fonts. The freebies let you download and install them, view them on your computer, and print them to your desktop printer.  But that's usually it.  If you want to embed them into PDFs and EPUBs, you must buy an additional license to do that. Correctly licensed fonts have an embedded byte of code that lets the PDF export utility embed the font.

This is a font problem, not an Adobe software problem.

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thankyou again. Would be happy to buy the license if any leads....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the problem is due to the Beatnik font; you might not have a license that allows you to embed it into PDFs and EPUBs.

Check the font's properties and see if it says something like embeddable.

Also check the website where you downloaded the font and see what the usage licenses requirements are. I see that it's a freebie, so that usually allows you to only view it on your screen and print it to your desktop printer, but not embed it into a PDF or EPUB.

But check what the license says. You might need to purchase an additional license for a publishing font that gives you the ability to embed the font.

Here's a good blog about font licensing: https://www.pubcom.com/blog/2019_12-06/font-licenses.shtml

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Thank you so much!

I understand but do am not able to find a relevant link to buy the license of the font, the only links I get is of the freebies.....Is it a font which cannot be used at all to embed? I might be unaware and it would be great if you could help me out...

New to the logistics part of fonts...so sorry if I do sound a little lost

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded this font and installed it. It is very clear that you cannot embed it in a PDF, it is written here:

Capture d’écran 2020-11-28 à 19.42.20.jpgCapture d’écran 2020-11-28 à 19.42.11.jpg

So you need to find another font.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh..... okay thanks once again! But is there a license I could buy?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you so much. Noted

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0