Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding of rtf not possible

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
in my InDesign document I have linked many rtf documents. These have been changed in InDesign and therefore I want to embed them now. Problem: when packing and later updating, the new information (which was added in InDesign) would be lost.
Unfortunately I only have the option "Unlink" in the menu, but I want to embed the links explicitly.
Is there a reason why this option is not shown at all?
TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to embed rtf files? You can only embed image files (and that is not a good idea to do it, by the way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want to embed them to be able to package the document properly. Due to the changes in InDesign, "only" packing would cause the data (that was changed in InDesign) to be lost when updating the document later.

We know that all these are not really optimal solutions... But it is interesting that my colleague can embed rft documents, but I don't even have the possibility (identical PC, InDesign version etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only" packing would cause the data (that was changed in InDesign) to be lost when updating the document later.

Frankly, your workflow is a mystery for me… I don't understand why you even need to package linked text files. If you have imported them in your InDesign document AND edited them in the InDesign document, what is the point in packaging outdated text files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don´t want to pack the text files, I want to pack the InDesign Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Packaging an InDesign document means creating a folder which contains the InDesign document and all the links. So what is the interest for you to have the original rtf text files in the same folder than the inDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try it once again with a detailed explanation: We have linked RTF files in our InDesign. The RTF files are modified in InDesign. For archiving on another server, the InDesign document must be packaged. If we pack it with the RTF files, the original RTF files will be restored when we open the packed file later (here we are asked whether the links should be updated) and our InDesign changes will be lost, in order to avoid that the InDesign changes are lost when the links are updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be safe, try this on a copy of your InDesign file -- I beleive that Unlink is exactly what you want, as it should break the link betweeen the source text files and the text that is in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. We don't want to unlink because we have to be able to find out afterwards which original RTF file is behind it. I hope you understand how I mean that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there I am also working in Janinas office and wand to add some phrases.

The reason why Janina wants to emb the RTF file is cause we created something like an translation memory (database). When creating an manual (help-booklet to explain a product) she imports textphrase in RTF file format (named A1, A2, A3, B1 etc.) with different content.  When she has finished the layout and its time for translations she only have to replace the link to place A1 (in another language). The file name itself is identical.

When moving the packaged document to another server or file directory inDesign wants to update the links.

Cause some files have placeholders for individual text which she filled manual in INDESIGN it will update the complete text block. So the manual content will get lost.

To avoid this acualication we want to emb the RTF file to the document which completely works fine on MacOs but Windows 10 does ot show this option (greyed out). Same document same directory only different client.

The reason why we work with these text blocks and the visibility is a must have, is cause in case we have to place new languages due to new sales areas, we can overwrite them and know the excact phrase due to the embed link name. 

I think this is a very special workflow cause we acutal dont have any PIM oder DAM integration to our systems. 

The final question is how to fix the greyed out "emb link to document" is greyed out on Windows and why it works on Mac. InDesign Version is identical.

Hope this can help to understand the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this can help to understand the situation.

Thanks for your explanation, I understand better now. But I hav no solution and the weird thing is you write

The final question is how to fix the greyed out "emb link to document" is greyed out on Windows and why it works on Mac. InDesign Version is identical.

I am also on Mac and I have no possibility to embed a linked text file…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made a screenshot for you. On Windows the option is greyed out.Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-09 um 15.14.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines