• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Emoji not exporting to PDF properly

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After adding emojis in InDesign (2021), using the Apple Color Emoji font and exporting to PDF, I find a black square surrounds them:

1722 Emma's leaving card_emoji.png

Tried changing fonts too.

All thoughts welcome.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emojis are basically designed for screen use. They are not fully supported in the PDF standard. It may work or partially work in some applications and not in others. 

I found what you got in InDesign 2021 but it worked OK in Illustrator 2021:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.41.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been having the same issue too with indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only “color” OpenType fonts that are officially supported by Adobe are OpenType SVG fonts. Included with recent releases of  InDesign and Illustrator is the Emoji One Color OpenType SVG font. Try that. The export to PDF and can be printed without any issues.

Unfortunately, there are at least three different formats of “color” OpenType fonts out there and not one of them is globally supported.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering why the same document I pdf'd a few weeks ago had the emoji fine with white background then the one I tried to export to pdf yesterday had a black box round it. The emoji one smiley faces are not the same as the Apple Color ones. I need the Apple Color emoji. Any ideas? Odd it worked fine a few weeks back but now doesn't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me, here are my specs, export to PDF with High Quality Print, viewing in Adobe Acrobat::

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 5.42.09 PM.png

We need more system specs from you. Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using. What PDF preset? What PDF reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using macOS catalina version 10.15.7

I have a creative cloud account so am using the 2021 version

PDF Preset:

High Quality print Acrobat 8/9 (PDF1.7)

Compression is the default one 300ppi for images above 450ppi

Comress text and line art is ticked and so is crop image data to frames (are these correct?)

I am exporting with crop marks

Forst is the one I pdf'd a few weeks ago and the second the one I did this week...

Smiley face white background done a few weeks ago.jpgSmiley face black background this week..jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a creative cloud account so am using the 2021 version" People will often ask for the exact app version, and really they do want that full info. This is partly because failed updates are a big problem, and often people whjo think they are up to date are actually not. Please give a full version number like 17.1.4 or whatever. Please let us know if you need help finding out.

If you are free to share the actual PDFs publicly, it may help, but you have already seen the very strong advice NOT to use these fonts in production. I suggest you find a matching graphic and use it instead of a font. Maybe you could even make such a graphic yourself, with Illustrator, from the font you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear: it needs to be a graphic where the font is no longer text of any kind - converted to outlines, rasterised, whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indesign Version 16.0

There is one new update since to 16.1 which I have not yet downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines