Highlighted

Emoji not exporting to PDF properly

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After adding emojis in InDesign (2021), using the Apple Color Emoji font and exporting to PDF, I find a black square surrounds them:

1722 Emma's leaving card_emoji.png

Tried changing fonts too.

All thoughts welcome.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Emoji not exporting to PDF properly

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After adding emojis in InDesign (2021), using the Apple Color Emoji font and exporting to PDF, I find a black square surrounds them:

1722 Emma's leaving card_emoji.png

Tried changing fonts too.

All thoughts welcome.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emojis are basically designed for screen use. They are not fully supported in the PDF standard. It may work or partially work in some applications and not in others. 

I found what you got in InDesign 2021 but it worked OK in Illustrator 2021:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.41.42 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been having the same issue too with indesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only “color” OpenType fonts that are officially supported by Adobe are OpenType SVG fonts. Included with recent releases of  InDesign and Illustrator is the Emoji One Color OpenType SVG font. Try that. The export to PDF and can be printed without any issues.

Unfortunately, there are at least three different formats of “color” OpenType fonts out there and not one of them is globally supported.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0