• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ending support for Type 1 fonts

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware that Type 1 fonts are considered "Old Technology", so don't trash me on that issue.

Or maybe I'm just the oldest designer on the planet...

Anyway, before there were other font types and when TrueType was new, I invested in the full Adobe Type Library, which has been working fine on both Mac and Windows platforms (even today). I do a huge amount of cross platform work and have for decades, so I've seen it all.

How nice would it be for Adobe to be kind to those of us who laid out the (quite large amount of) cash for the whole library to upgrade us due to the support for fonts ending? Think that might ever happen? Pipe dream?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd encourage you to check out this FAQ about PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support. 

Users who purchased Type 1 fonts published by Adobe Type may reach out to Fontspring.

For third-party Type 1 fonts (including those sold by Adobe in the past), users should contact the font foundry that published the font(s) to learn whether an upgrade path to the OpenType format is available.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath. There's really no reason for them to. They offer thousands of fonts via Adobe Fonts and include it with a CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, around 2000 when Adobe converted its PS/T1 font library to OTF, they offered an upgrade plan for those who purchased the Font Folio or whatever it was called back then. They had some kind of deal because I encouraged my clients to take advantage of it and make the switch.

You're probably not the oldest desiger on the planet. Some of us go back to hot metal type on Linotype machines.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd encourage you to check out this FAQ about PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support. 

Users who purchased Type 1 fonts published by Adobe Type may reach out to Fontspring.

For third-party Type 1 fonts (including those sold by Adobe in the past), users should contact the font foundry that published the font(s) to learn whether an upgrade path to the OpenType format is available.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines