Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnote order in book file and options for endnotes in separate document

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two questions regarding endnotes

1) I have a list of endnotes for each document in my book file. For some documents (chapters) they go out of order. Is there some option to force it to be in the order they appear in the text?

2) I have my endnotes at the end of each chapter because I have read so many threads about the missing features in InDesign for book file endnotes (in a separate document).
I was suggested this script, but it is for footnotes and not for endnotes: 
https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/end-of-book_notes.html
Is there at this point anything worth trying? I'm really looking to not spend too much time on the references - so I prefer having them at the back of each chapter rather than doing them manually and having them in the back of the book. 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The endnotes should appear in order based on your text flow. If you have independent text frames on a page that are not linked together, InDesign determines the order and sometimes not in a logical way. Is there any chance you can thread the frames togher on the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just For Comment.

It's not a problem of "threading" but just a simplistic application of Einstein's relativity!  ðŸ˜‰

It's not because InDesign lets think things need to be done following some orthodoxy you can't win the (your) game! … Just define your own rules especially if you need "fringe" rules!

In the screenshot below, I'm using the "endnotes" feature to build the answers grid at the end of the 2nd page.

It's a "table" construction with answers sorted per column!

Capture d’écran 2021-05-01 à 16.50.27.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your answer helped me pin it down. Inside my text frame, I have separate frames with quotes. Now I have just placed the Vancouver references in the primary text frame. I'm sure with the Jedi answer that it could be done the other way, but I'll just keep it simple for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines