• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes Not Auto-Updating

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Word document with about 50 endnotes that I've imported into InDesign. For some reason, my endnotes are not auto-updating. Here's what happens when I try to do the following:

• Cutting and Pasting Endnotes: I wish to move some endnotes around as I lay out the book. However, when I do so in this document, the endnote that I cut and then paste is duplicated in the endnotes frame. When I wish to go to the endnote that has been duplicated and no longer exists, I get an error message "The Endnote Reference/Text is either hidden or locked." Note that the endnotes in the primary story now skips a number.

• Adding and Deleting Endnotes: When the above technique didn't work, I tried to manually delete the endnote that I wanted to move, and then manually insert a new endnote where I wanted to move it. Same problem. The endnotes skip a number in the primary story and I have duplicate endnotes in the endnote story. When I try to go to the now non-existent endnote (that I've deleted) I get the same error message I've described above.

Is there a way to manually update/refresh endnotes? Like updating cross-references? If not is there a setting I need to turn on? Note that at least for this file, re-importing it from Word is not an option as I've spent a considerable amount of time formatting/laying out this file. However if there is a setting I need to adjust when importing I'd like to hear this. I made a few test files where I imported Word documents with endnotes and they seemed to work fine, so I'm hoping this is a simple fix.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Thanks for responding Uwe,

I actually just figured it out – it was that I had tracked changes turned on, so when my editor (in InCopy) or myself (in InDesign) made changes deleting or moving text with endnotes, they were still technically there, just hidden, hence the message "The Endnote Reference/Text is either hidden or locked." As soon as I turned off tracked changes, and accepted all changes in the document, the duplicate endnotes disappeared and everything is numbered correctly.

Cheers, Ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please always include in your query the version of InDesign and the operating system you are using.

Also, consider including screenshots to help us understand better your question and send you the correct answer quicker.

You can use an application like https://www.screentogif.com/ to insert animated screenshots.

End Notes are an automated system, which means they will always by at the end of the page (footnotes) or end of document (endnotes)

If you want to edit their layout manually, that is a lot of work and you will have to make a new document with the content imported and the text of your footnotes/endnotes separately. but there will be no link between the two or an updating link with MS Word either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies,

I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

My version of InDesign is 14.0.2.

Here is a screenshot of the error message:

error msg screenshot.png

Thanks,

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you check your Layers Panel, just in case. It could be Hidden or Locked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric,

I checked the layers panel and did a little reading it on it. It doesn't look like it's locked, here is a screenshot:

layers panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

can you provide an InDesign document where you see this issue for testing?

Put it on Dropbox or a similar service and post the link for download.

Also describe exactly what you want to do, what you are actually doing step by step and what the result is.

Provide a document before and a document after so that we can see the difference. Also post some screenshots.

FWIW: This issue could be a bug. But it could also be something else.

Did you start the document where you see this? Or do you work on a document that was built by someone else?

Is there a InCopy workflow involved?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding Uwe,

I actually just figured it out – it was that I had tracked changes turned on, so when my editor (in InCopy) or myself (in InDesign) made changes deleting or moving text with endnotes, they were still technically there, just hidden, hence the message "The Endnote Reference/Text is either hidden or locked." As soon as I turned off tracked changes, and accepted all changes in the document, the duplicate endnotes disappeared and everything is numbered correctly.

Cheers, Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Matt,

thank you very much for your reply. I think that the same happened to our OP zamon6996.

So I will tag your answer as the correct one.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines