Highlighted

Endnotes not exporting with links to PDF

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am working on a report which originally I imported from a Word document which contained Endnotes - all fine and I can add/remove them without problems. However, when I export the document as a PDF (Interactive or normal, with or without hyperlinks/bookmarks, high or low res) I cannot click on the reference within the document in order to be taken to the page where the endnote is located. I'm on the latest version of Indesign (16) under Windows 10.

Many thanks.

Julian

Thanks for that. Before I investigate that I tried a different PDF profile. 'High Quality Print' and it worked! Having compared PDF settings it seems that you need to check 'Create Tagged PDF'. It works fine now and backlinking also works.

Hopefully that may help others.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Endnotes not exporting with links to PDF

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am working on a report which originally I imported from a Word document which contained Endnotes - all fine and I can add/remove them without problems. However, when I export the document as a PDF (Interactive or normal, with or without hyperlinks/bookmarks, high or low res) I cannot click on the reference within the document in order to be taken to the page where the endnote is located. I'm on the latest version of Indesign (16) under Windows 10.

Many thanks.

Julian

Thanks for that. Before I investigate that I tried a different PDF profile. 'High Quality Print' and it worked! Having compared PDF settings it seems that you need to check 'Create Tagged PDF'. It works fine now and backlinking also works.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian,

it seems you are not alone:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/endnote-roundtripping-weirdness-when-exported-to-interactive...

However, I think it should work at least in one way:

From the endnote reference number to the endnote text.

To eliminate one factor, the Word import, could you do a new endnote with InDesign's endnote feature and test this one?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 1
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian,

just tested again with endnotes I did solely with InDesign.

( No import of a Word file. )

When I export to PDF (Print) with:

Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4), [x] Create Tagged PDF and [x] Hyperlinks enabled,

linking from the endnote reference number to the endnote text is working.

What is not working: Linking back from the endnote text ro its reference number in the main text.

Tested this with InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

PDF reading software: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2020.0.13.20064 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. My setup is generally the same with some differences.

Compatability: Same as you.

Indesign: 2021 16.0 on Windows 10 v 1909 (Indesign does not show a version number like yours, the '77' I can't see).

PDF Reading: Acrobat Pro DC v.2020.013.20066 on Windows 10 (I also tried Firefox and that works).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to narrow the culprit the link below goes to the PDF which works with backlinking.

http://www.julianknott.com/test.pdf

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 1
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian,

thank you for your sample PDF!

It's working with my Adobe Reader as expected:

Linking back and forth from reference number to reference number.

Could you provide the InDesign document as well?

Thanks,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here my InDesign document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuhrr1itbalxo39/SimpleEndnote-2021.indd?dl=1

Could you do test a PDF export with this?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the following:

• I exported the PDF - didn't work
  • I re-saved your document - didn't work
  • I added another endnote  - didn't work
  • Changed the fonts - didn't work
  • I removed all text but just left the endnote - didn't work.
  • I removed your text and endnote and added my own - it worked!
    • So it's the actual endnote, not the file itself or Acrobat - have a look at my file and see if you can export it.

https://www.julianknott.com/test-endnote-jk.indd

Are you using the German version of Indesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also removed the endnote page (thus removing the endnote in the main body text and added my own endnote). That worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Julian,
I'm using the German version of InDesign 2021.

Thank you very much for testing all this.

Will be back soon…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0