Endnotes not linking epub export

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endnotes not linking in epub export. I see the same question has been unanswered in many threads. It used to work fine with InDesign CC 2017. Now, the latest version doesn't work. I spent hours creating 500 end notes in the print version. 

Is there any fix available to this? 

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Thank you. 

But, fortunately, I was able to figure out the issue. It's the text frames with baseline grid-enabled issue. Once I turn off the baseline grid, I was able to convert all endnotes to footnotes and successfully generated my epub.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Endnotes not linking epub export

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endnotes not linking in epub export. I see the same question has been unanswered in many threads. It used to work fine with InDesign CC 2017. Now, the latest version doesn't work. I spent hours creating 500 end notes in the print version. 

Is there any fix available to this? 

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Thank you. 

But, fortunately, I was able to figure out the issue. It's the text frames with baseline grid-enabled issue. Once I turn off the baseline grid, I was able to convert all endnotes to footnotes and successfully generated my epub.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 04, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with the current Footnotes/Endnotes state of the art (and its bugs...)

I do know that in case of errors, and other mayhem, everyone turns to Peter Kahrel.

However, he retired. But his repository of scripts and documentation is still avaliable: 

https://indesignsecrets.com/peter-kahrels-script-repository-comes-to-creativepro.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a coincidence !! A few weeks ago I helped processing a book into an interactive PDF and reflowable ePub. The PDF was easy (all table of content and endnotes links, back and forth) worked immediately. The ePub was a terrible feat ! The table of content worked (both the visual one and the structurally generated one), but the endnotes didn't. Well, not always, but as the work progressed, the file went corrupt.

We didn't have the time to investigate it thoroughly, but we did find out that from a certain point in the document or moment in time working on it, InDesign didn't create properly formatted hyperlinks anymore. The links to go to and return from an endnote didn't include the file name (it was just a numbered anchor). We eventually and manually corrected them in the HTML (there were only around 80 of them), and didn't bother figuring out the exact reason or pattern for InDesign to behave that way.

Your findings might be helpful to discover the real bug behind it !

I'll try to reproduce your procedure and see what happens, soon.

Thank you for reporting back on this 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, I answered to an very old post. But, still, it's the same issue only.

I see what you mean. Yes, Endnotes exported will leave just anchor titles with no links. But, i cannot do the linking for 500 footnotes. Almost all my recent books are having more than 200 footnotes/endnotes. Most of them are endnotes. Client having peculiar requests too. So, i had to find a short way to make this work without much longer hardwork.

Workaround for this is:

1. Convert endnotes to footnotes which exports just fine with InDesign.

2. Only issue you get, all the footnotes displayed at the end of each chapter. You can leave them as is if the client agrees, otherwise, You can open epub and copy the footnotes at the end of each chapter to the endnotes title code page. and change the current html footnote links to point to the final endnote file.

This way, you no need to manually link all the endnotes. Only trouble is to copy and paste and replace the link reference using find/replace.

That saves the day!

Hope it will help more people struggling with the same issue.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to but it sounds like the same thing. I encountered this issue with older versions of InDesign (which I think you may be using). The issue was that if you used a hyperlink in a footnote, the footnotes broke from that point forward. Check your documents and see if the point at which the footnotes stop working, there's a hyperlink. I had to fix this with a script that a colleague wrote for me which I would run on the exported file. I hope that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

There were two issues with endnotes I faced.

1. Endnotes not exporting in latest version InDesign. It was working with InDesign 2017 CC. Not sure how they stopped this functionality in the latest versions. 

Solution/Workaround:

- Convert endnotes to footnotes. And follow the above thread procedure to get working endnotes at the end.

2. Converting endnotes to footnotes was hanging while I was trying the above solution. I have hyperlinks in all my endnotes. But, they didn't break. After your message, I need to go back and check if they are breaking.

Solution/Workaround:

- InDesign hanging because I have enabled baseline grid which inturns pushing all the footnotes and getting overset text and the InDesign crashes. So, I have removed the baseline grid and tried to convert again. It worked like a charm.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to the above, when we say Indesign crashes, there were lot of issues it crashes. Like, grep styles. overset text and many more. The easy way to figure out the cause is to try doing in sets of conversion. Like, first 10, 20, 30 till we reach the issue point and then, we can see the root cause.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the problem which was occurring in my document.

Most of the endnotes contained indeed web URLs (turned into hyperlinks).

We quickly used Find/Replace in Sigil to correct all references to the endnote with the full file name part, and the references back to the text were done manually – a lousy job, but with some music and a mug of strong black tea, it went quite quickly after all...

This long-standing bug is "under investigation" by the Adobe developers team, but this might take a few more days or years to get prioritised and solved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, thank you again Eshu ! That was exactly what was happening: adding insult to injury, InDesign also crashes when you try to export the whole thing ! So I created a separate batch of html consisting of all text articles including (incomplete) endnote references, plus one empty final article (with its intended name), to let the proper manifest for the ePub be created. Next, I created a separate ePub of just the unlinked endnotes article, to replace the (empty) placeholder of the full ePub. And then we completed and corrected all links to and from the endnotes. 

Some knowledge of html and a tool like Sigil has become neccessary to get an ePub out of InDesign... 😞

Next time, I'll definitely try to notice if overset text is a culprit in combination with footnotes/endnotes, crashing InDesign upon exporting, and I'll also try see if hyperlinks in endnotes create an extra problem (incomplete links). It's a shame we have to do the testing and diagnosing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Eshu153 LATEST
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I tried to resolve it only when I did not find any answer and it is really hard to manually create a whole list of endnotes again. Hopefully, InDesign reintroduces the endnotes functioning and save us all the trouble.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0