• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you renumber endnotes to start at one, at the beginning of each chapter?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Hi Marius,

please define what you mean by "each chapter".

Is the document built in a way that every "chapter" is one single story, a number of text frames threaded together?

Also see Change endnote numbering and layout in the help files where Mode is set to Restart Every Story:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/endnotes.ug.html

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marius,

please define what you mean by "each chapter".

Is the document built in a way that every "chapter" is one single story, a number of text frames threaded together?

Also see Change endnote numbering and layout in the help files where Mode is set to Restart Every Story:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/endnotes.ug.html

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

What if you don't want to break your manuscript up into separate stories? My manuscripts come to me as a single Word file, and I program the chapter titles to start on new pages. I tried marking those pages as section starts, the endnotes still didn't restart at 1. This to me would seem the easiest option. 

First, it was a lot of work to copy/paste each chapter into a separate flow (I realize there may be easier ways to do this). 

Second, cutting the flowing text up leaves room for risk of introduced error. 

Third, if the chapters change in length due to revisions, smart reflow can cause problems, but turned off, I risk tail ends of chapters running into overset text, or leaving blank pages at the end of chapters.

Fourth, I use WordsFlow a lot, so that editors can resupply me with revised versions of the manuscript. So once I chop the text up, this function is lost to me, and it is an important part of my workflow. 

Are there other workarounds? 

Or can I ask Adobe to revise the Endnote function so you can restart the numbering at each chapter?

Also, when the endnotes get sent to the back, can't the chapter titles be included as subheads? Now I have to create those heads at the back, and type (or paste) in the chapter titles to identify which chapter the new set of endnotes refers to. 

Thanks!

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So once I chop the text up, this function is lost to me, and it is an important part of my workflow.

Are there other workarounds?"

Hi Linda,

when working with WordsFlow in this case you could change your workflow to one single Word file per chapter. You could ask the developers to revise the Endnotes feature in InDesign; for that the best place currently is InDesign UserVoice's Feature Request page:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Also doable:

Sign in to InDesign Prerelease and speak up there at Prerelease Discussions:

How to Join Creative Cloud Prerelease Programs
Erin Finnegan, Oct 18, 2019

https://medium.com/adobetech/how-to-join-creative-cloud-prerelease-programs-ccecc10ae7d3

Direct link to join InDesign Prerelease:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/C6DFA254-C40C-4EEB-8F6D-F4AEDA2E6171

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, 

I'll follow up on those links to Adobe. 

While I am not a power coder like you, I have been using InDesign since InDesign 2.0 (and owned InDesign 1.0!) to produce large book projects, so have a pretty clear idea of what I need from InDesign to get the job done, and have spent years figuring out workarounds. When ID started being able to do Endnotes relatively recently, I was so glad, but then hit in the face with a wet fish when I encountered the limitations.  

Thanks so much!

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe, sadly you don't offer any solutions at all, and because I have the same problem with endnotes (not footnotes, which are separate - I mention that because another contributor asked 'endnotes' or 'footnotes' even though Linda had specified endnotes).

My ONE Word file has been imported, then the different chapters separated with page breaks. However, the ENDNOTES are appended at the end in one continuously numbered run. I don't want this: I want the endnote numbering to start with each new chapter.

Googling, I came across a script called StorySplitter - you can download it here https://creativepro.com/downloads/StorySplitter.jsx) - which will cut the thread of text from one frame to the next and thus seemingly divide the text file into separate stories. I then went to Endnote preferences and tried all kinds of permutations but none would all the endnote numbering to restart at the beginning of each story (as I hoped one would). So I still have the same problem.

So: does ANYONE yet have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you truly mean Endnotes or are you referring to Footnotes? Do the notes appear at the bottom of each page or are they aggregated at the end of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines