Highlighted

Entire Novel in One INDD File: How to Number Chapters?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find a solution online to create a paragraph at the beginning of each chapter in my novel, formatted as "Chapter <nnn>", with <nnn> incrementing by one vor every sequential chapter.

I read on one InDesign help page that a document can have only one chapter. One can separate a document into multiple .indd files, each with one 'chapter' (known apparently as a 'section' in InDesign), then collect them all together, with one TOC, using a Book (.indb file).

That solution is awkward at best, as I am adding content to the novel and do not want to have to read from one .indd file to the next -- I prefer a continuous text flow, chapter after chapter, into which I can add, edit, insert a new chapter, etc.

This is a rudimentary feature of word processing tools. I know that InDesign is a layout tool, but really?

I cannot find any mention of "user-defined text variables", except of fixed content.

Ideas?

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Entire Novel in One INDD File: How to Number Chapters?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find a solution online to create a paragraph at the beginning of each chapter in my novel, formatted as "Chapter <nnn>", with <nnn> incrementing by one vor every sequential chapter.

I read on one InDesign help page that a document can have only one chapter. One can separate a document into multiple .indd files, each with one 'chapter' (known apparently as a 'section' in InDesign), then collect them all together, with one TOC, using a Book (.indb file).

That solution is awkward at best, as I am adding content to the novel and do not want to have to read from one .indd file to the next -- I prefer a continuous text flow, chapter after chapter, into which I can add, edit, insert a new chapter, etc.

This is a rudimentary feature of word processing tools. I know that InDesign is a layout tool, but really?

I cannot find any mention of "user-defined text variables", except of fixed content.

Ideas?

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill:

We use the chapter number counter (^H) when we create an InDesign book, where each chapter is its own file. 

If you want to work in one long document, use the level 1 counter (^1) to represent your chapter numbers. 

Both techniques are outlined here. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/ 

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 1