Highlighted

EPS file with a drop shadow has white box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a particular EPS file into InDesign and turn on overprint preview, it has a white box around it. This EPS has a drop shadow which appears to be causing the problem. Although I can find plenty of work arounds, in this instance the file needs to keep the drop shadow in the original file and must be CMYK since it's for print

I've tried saving as an AI, PDF, EPS, and SVG. So far only the SVG format has eliminated the white box in InDesign, but that typically isn't a print format file. 

The final file is a graphic that I need to provide to a client for a variety of print uses, on a variety of background colors, and want to maintain it as a vector. Any thoughts on how to keep the tranparent drop shadow without the annoying white box? 

Thanks,

Laura

TOPICS
Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

EPS file with a drop shadow has white box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a particular EPS file into InDesign and turn on overprint preview, it has a white box around it. This EPS has a drop shadow which appears to be causing the problem. Although I can find plenty of work arounds, in this instance the file needs to keep the drop shadow in the original file and must be CMYK since it's for print

I've tried saving as an AI, PDF, EPS, and SVG. So far only the SVG format has eliminated the white box in InDesign, but that typically isn't a print format file. 

The final file is a graphic that I need to provide to a client for a variety of print uses, on a variety of background colors, and want to maintain it as a vector. Any thoughts on how to keep the tranparent drop shadow without the annoying white box? 

Thanks,

Laura

TOPICS
Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the frame filled with white?

EPS is not a very good format to use here, though. Resaving in Illustrator as PDF and placing that in InDesign along with showing options when doing so will allow you to choose a transparent background.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. The box is filled with white. I have tried a PDF but that doesn’t work either. If I remove the drop shadow the white box goes away so I assume this is the cause. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the file it's impossible to say, but EPS will never work properly for this. 

Can you show us some screenshots and provide one more bit of data...where are you seeing this whitebox? InDesign or in an exported PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. We'd appreciate if you can share the solution with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issue, please share the information asked by Bob.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0