• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS file with a drop shadow has white box

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a particular EPS file into InDesign and turn on overprint preview, it has a white box around it. This EPS has a drop shadow which appears to be causing the problem. Although I can find plenty of work arounds, in this instance the file needs to keep the drop shadow in the original file and must be CMYK since it's for print

I've tried saving as an AI, PDF, EPS, and SVG. So far only the SVG format has eliminated the white box in InDesign, but that typically isn't a print format file. 

The final file is a graphic that I need to provide to a client for a variety of print uses, on a variety of background colors, and want to maintain it as a vector. Any thoughts on how to keep the tranparent drop shadow without the annoying white box? 

Thanks,

Laura

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the frame filled with white?

EPS is not a very good format to use here, though. Resaving in Illustrator as PDF and placing that in InDesign along with showing options when doing so will allow you to choose a transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. The box is filled with white. I have tried a PDF but that doesn’t work either. If I remove the drop shadow the white box goes away so I assume this is the cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the file it's impossible to say, but EPS will never work properly for this. 

Can you show us some screenshots and provide one more bit of data...where are you seeing this whitebox? InDesign or in an exported PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LauraFig Your post was highjacked into a different issue. Did you solve your problem? If not, can you post an EPS file that is causing the problem?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same issue can occur even with PDF files.

The issue comes from the "transparency flattener" and the solution is not to be using it, just convert to paths and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. We'd appreciate if you can share the solution with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issue, please share the information asked by Bob.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same problem lately when using .AI graphics that have drop shadows. When they export to PDF there is a thin white box around the graphics. Really need to figure out how to fix this issue.

Indesign-PDF-whiteboxissue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is called Stitiching and is the result of transparency flattening (the drop shaodws are transparency effects). Export to a PDF version that does not flatten the transparency (like PDF/X-4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I need an interactive PDF. So there isn't a way to fix it for interactive PDF?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a print designer, but I think not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible work-around is to export the graphic from InDesign as PDF/X-4, open it in Photoshop, and save it as an image, then place it back into your InDesign file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to flatten to make interactive PDF. Quite the opposite. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive PDFs get exported as Acrobat 8 PDF 1.7, so there can be live transparency. If you are getting stitching artifacts in an interactive export, they must be from a placed file inside of the AI file that was flattened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI graphics were all created in Illustrator adn the drop shadows are created in Illustrator. 

It seems the work around I have found is to export a High Quality PNG and linking that to my Indesign file instead of linking the actual AI file. Kind of annoying to have to export a new AI file each edit I make to the graphic but oh well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using spot colors? Is anything set to overprint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the problem AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I cannot. It's for a client and I don't have permission to share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it would make a differnce, but be sure you have your AI transparency flattener sttings on High Resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing the problem here. Can you recreate it using your own content?

An RGB file with transparency saved as AI 2020:

Screen Shot 3.png

Placed in InDesign and exported as Interactive PDF. Transparency is live in the PDF so there are no stitching artifacts:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if the Illustrator file was saved as PDF/X-1a or PDF 1.4 sometime in the past, then reopened in Illustrator and resaved as an AI file, the flattener slicing from the intermediate PDF 1.4 save would be baked in to the AI file.

If that happened it would be obvious in outline mode. Here on the right is my test AI file saved as X-1a and reopened where you can see the path slices from the X-1a save:

Screen Shot 6.pngScreen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue comes from the "transparency flattener" and the solution is not to be using it, just convert to paths and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, the problem is, that EPS does not support transparency. Don't use EPS. Use PDF/X-4 or AI instead. EPS is an old outdated file type. Do not use it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines