Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPUB coding problems

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've successfully exported my friend's book to EPUB, but when we try to load it onto IngramSpark's system, we get coding error messages.

I suspect that this is a problem at IS's end (perhaps not quite up to date since the last Id update, which I have). But I have no idea what to do next.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

As for Acrobat opening your epub file: to preview it correctly you either open the epub file in the Apple book reader (Mac only) or Thorium (Windows, Mac and Linux)

On Windows and Linux it is the only reader that is able to display InDesign generated FXL epub files properly.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you contacted Ingram Spark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a FXL ePub or Reflowable ePub?

One of the error messages states that the cover does not meet the minimum size requirements  â€“ have you tried to correct that issue?

You say you've successfully exported the ePub – have you validated it successfully?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a fixed layout EPUB. Yes, I corrected the cover size and started
again. When I say successfully exported, I mean it exported without giving
error messages. The file appears in my folder as an Acrobat Pro icon. It
does not, however, open in Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Pro. I'm not sure what
you mean by "have I validated it"- is this a separate process? Any help
gratefully received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is probably the same as the one mentioned in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/fixed-layout-epub-exported-by-indesign-fails-validation-in-e...

To fix:

When exporting the Fixed Layout ePub, select "File Name" when setting the Navigation TOC. I had mine set on "None" which was OK when validating the file with the old version of ePub Checker (v4.0.2), but generates the above error when using v4.1.1.

1697211_Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.39.17 PM.png

 

You must validate an epub file before publishing to a book market. Use an application such as Sigil for this (free). 

https://sigil-ebook.com/

Go to Tools > Validate EPUB with FlightCrew or hit the green tick button. If there are technical errors, Sigil will give you a list of them, and you can click on the items in the list to jump to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
THANK YOU so much Rayek!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for Acrobat opening your epub file: to preview it correctly you either open the epub file in the Apple book reader (Mac only) or Thorium (Windows, Mac and Linux)

On Windows and Linux it is the only reader that is able to display InDesign generated FXL epub files properly.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines