• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ePub distribution practices (email/cloud/url/download)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently did a report that I want to distribute to my email list as an epub.

My approach is this:

-upload ePub to cloud 

-create hyperlink to public document

-include hyperlink in email to user 

-user downloads ePub via hyperlink 

-user opens ePub via reader on their device

My problems are on the last step.

It has worked on 1/3 tests when downloaded directly to different desktop computers and opened with book reader. It has worked on 0/3 tests when downloaded to different mobile devices all Apple iPhone 10x or newer. 

Is their a best practices for easily distributing the ePub? Do I need to host it via a third part online store like kabaoto, Google play, or Amazon? 

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Have you thought of trying out InDesign's Publish Online?

You can easily create Interactive publications from your InDesign document and include video, audio and animations, that can be 'read' on any device with an HTML5 browser – PC, Mac, Tablet or Smart Phone. You can even enable it so the reader can download a (static) PDF version.

(The disadvantage is the user must be online to access the document and you can't monetise it.)

Just a thought!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Reflowable ePub or FXL ePub?

Is there a special reason for choosing this format?

Do you know the kinds of devices/readers the recipients are using?

Are the recipients reasonably technically savvie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an FXL ePub. So I uploaded it into cloud. I had wanted to do an epub so I could include some rich media (like a cover theme song). In addition to my PDF. Doing some more research it appears that a QR code words reasonably well on the mobile device side. So my email contains 

PDF Link 

Then as a 'PS' you can view via (insert book app) by scanning the QR code.

My hope is to make it as easy as I can... And I welcome any suggestions! Thanks, Derek. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought of trying out InDesign's Publish Online?

You can easily create Interactive publications from your InDesign document and include video, audio and animations, that can be 'read' on any device with an HTML5 browser – PC, Mac, Tablet or Smart Phone. You can even enable it so the reader can download a (static) PDF version.

(The disadvantage is the user must be online to access the document and you can't monetise it.)

Just a thought!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Great idea!

[PII removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Linkedin Learning have some excellent online video tutorials on creating Publish Online documents and you can get 30-days free access.

Note: Please don't include personal contact details on this public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines