• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ePub export adds new pages to end of document - pages out of order

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been doing Reflowable ePub fine for weeks.  2.0.1 and 3.0.  InDesign 15.1.1 - all up to date. No recent changes to the system - Mac 10.15.5 Catalina all up to date.

Book - 47 chapters, one document per chapter.  On the Front Matter of the novel, if I add a Page to this Document (so of say 15 pages this is now trying to do an insert towards the top page), it won't persist the location during export.  It will push it down to the end of the document within the ePub export regardless of where the page is located in the pages tab for the Front Matter.  All is fine in PDF export - it maintains the set page order per the pages tab. Problem is only in ePub. Tried everything including IDML export and re-creation of the document, creating test scenarios with a new Book, using Move to move the pages instead of drag n drop.  Primary text frame checked during document creation. Smart text reflow to end of document.  Tried everything I can think of short of breaking the one document into 2+ documents to emulate proper page order (which will look tacky in ePub).  No images. Nothing fancy - just Styled text. Proper use of Styles etc.  Flushed Books Reader assuming some funky sync's or cache going on. No change.

Soooo ... I am feeling stuck. 

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Michael

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Solved by Posting Author.  It was my fault for how I managed the insertion of new pages manually.  I did not use a hard page break or facsimile; I simply created new pages which were orphaned from the primary text flow.  So InDesign did what it was supposed to do: it processed the primary text frame flow correctly and then "added" the missing (ie - unlinked) pages to the end of the document/chapter in the ePub.  What was throwing me was it output correctly to PDF - I don't understand, yet, why i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved by Posting Author.  It was my fault for how I managed the insertion of new pages manually.  I did not use a hard page break or facsimile; I simply created new pages which were orphaned from the primary text flow.  So InDesign did what it was supposed to do: it processed the primary text frame flow correctly and then "added" the missing (ie - unlinked) pages to the end of the document/chapter in the ePub.  What was throwing me was it output correctly to PDF - I don't understand, yet, why it was working fine for the PDF and not ePub.  I had assumed similar behavior.  The similar behavior may be a setting or whatever that I don't have right.  So I am fine now.  Thanks to anyone reading and reflecting.  I could have fixed it with manual relinking of the new and orphaned pages, but an easier approach would be the hard page breaks within the primary text frame flow.  If anyone can shed light on why the different behavior in PDF generation, that would be great ... just curious that's all ... it's not a showstopper for me on this project.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines