• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPUB – How to create an relative Link to PDF files located on iPad?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
It's about an EPUB presentation that has to work locally on an iPad without an internet connection. The challenge for me is to link from EPUB to PDF files that are stored locally on the iPad. 

Does anyone have any idea how to do that?

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at in5,  an InDesign plug-in (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek,
i know in5. The Question is – is there another posibility to make it? I mean without in5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would you even store files "locally"? IPads don't have a central store of files, just in app. What app would you use and how would the files get into it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following task: In an EPUB presentation that is run on an iPad with iBooks, one should be able to use the "Open File" command to open a PDF file wich is stored on the iPad, e.g. in the "On My iPad" directory.

That should be possible, right? Maybe through a relative link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iPad is very seriously locked down, with complete inter-application isolation.  It makes it impossible to do many things taken for granted on other systems. The "Files" app does not provide a file store, nor show one, so far as I know, it just presents the illusion that you have one. (Update: according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Files_(Apple), on the iPad there IS a local file store in the Files app, but ther is NONE on iOS).

I may be wrong, but I suggest you do some deep study of this. In general files can't even link to other files stored in the same app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this valuable information. The file distortion on the iPad actually seems to be special.
Then I'll try to find another way. Maybe with in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with in5 is that you can’t run local HTML on the iPad. My advice…stick with epub and load the PDF from the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your advice. That's how I do it right now. But the customer explicitly wants a solution without an internet connection. The PDF files are to be saved locally on the iPad so that the customer can update them himself and access the PDFs from the EPUB. I guess I would have to program some kind of app for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines