• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epub ignoring TOC

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have editing a novel for the past three days and I keep running into the trouble that my chapter headings are not being separated onto a different page. Here is the Table of Contents settings I'm using:

Captura2.PNG

Here are my epub export settings:

Captura.PNG

And this is the result:

Captura3.PNG

This is my first time doing this kind of formatting and regardless of what tutorial I watch nothing works...

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Ok, so everyone helped me to come up with the solution for this problem. Here are the steps I took to make the Chapter Headings and ToC (Table of Contents) work correctly. This works for Reflowable Epubs

First, make sure in your Paragraph Style Settings you have the following settings turn on. In your for Keep Options, change Start Paragraph to: On Next Page.

Captura.PNG

In Export Tagging, make sure you Chapter Headings have the h1 tag. This ensures that the epub recognizes this line of text as a very importa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used Paragraph (and Character) Styles for everything?

Have you selected Start paragraph on new page in Paragraph styles for headings?

(In any case select  ePub 3.00)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I gave the file another look to check only the Chapter headings have the selected Paragraph Style.

I haven't checked if the Paragraph Style has the Start Paragraph function... That may be the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Paragraph headings would have a different paragraph style to the ToC paragraph style.

Producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuative – it might be worth you taking a LinkedinLearning course (you can get 30-days free access). Also leartning a bit about HTML and CSS would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on Split document, then choose the desired paragraph style in the export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this as well but the result is of a blank page with only the Chapter title

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused as to whether you're having an issue with the ToC or the chapter headings -- or both. Can you clarify?
Also what is stated when you validate the ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an issue with both, I managed to make it work today.

The problem was with the HTML and CSS coding of the Chapter headings in the Export Tagging section in the Paragraph Style settings. Once formatted correctly, the ToC worked correctly as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also check the 'ePub and HTML' tab in the overview (fly out panel Paragraph Style) of the map styles (Edit all Export styles). There you can set all Paragraphs to split or not, maybe they are all (not) selected to split?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so everyone helped me to come up with the solution for this problem. Here are the steps I took to make the Chapter Headings and ToC (Table of Contents) work correctly. This works for Reflowable Epubs

First, make sure in your Paragraph Style Settings you have the following settings turn on. In your for Keep Options, change Start Paragraph to: On Next Page.

Captura.PNG

In Export Tagging, make sure you Chapter Headings have the h1 tag. This ensures that the epub recognizes this line of text as a very important part of the whole text and check the box 'Split Document', this setting will tell the epub that when a line with h1 is scanned, that heading will be put in a brand new page.

Captura2.PNG

Now, your other paragraph styles, such as subheadings have an h2 tag and your normal text Paragraph style have a p tag in the Export Tagging. Make sure you don't have the 'Split Document' box checked with this.

Captura3.PNGCaptura4.PNG

Third, create your ToC style in Layout > Table of Contents.

Captura5.PNG

Now, go to Export and save your file as Epub (Reflowable).
When the dialog box for settings pop up, in General, choose your ToC as Multilevel and select your ToC Style.

Now, turn on 'Split Document' and select 'Based on Paragraph Style Export Tags'. This will make sure yor export tagging you did in the Paragraph Style is used.
Captura6.PNG

And voila!
Screenshot_20200524-110748_Lithium.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines