Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(ePub) Multiple Object States at the same time

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying out interactive documents for work, and I ran into some issues.

In general, as you can see in the GIF, I'm working on an interactive map. There are buttons on the different areas, which shows the names of the areas, when you click them. I solved this for now with Object States

What I'd like to do is, that if I click on one of those buttons, that the name of the area will pop-up. That does work for now. 

But I want a version, where the area names will stay as I'm cycling through the buttons. So to say the States will hold on or there are multiple object states appearing simultaneously.

Also an issue is that if I export the ePub, some spaces inbetween words just disappear. Is that a known problem? Is there a fix for it?

I don't know if it's possible that way, so I would really appreciate if someone could answere me this question!

Best Regards,

Pascal

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

If I understand your intention correctly, you want a browse button that, when clicked, displays one state, and when clicked again, displays two states, clicked again, displays three states, etc.

Yes, this is quite simple to do. The trick is to create one state in which ALL elements are visible, create a button in that state and assign the "next state" action. Then duplicate that state as many times as you have display states. Select the first state, and hide everything with the layer panel. Sele

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try InDesign's Publish Online facility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot have multiple states visible at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it would work with Show/Hide buttons instead. Here is a map where, by design, the info boxes for each locale disappear when a new locale is clicked (or the close box on the info box is clicked). Necessary in this case, since the info boxes overlap each other. But with Show/Hide, you can keep any item showing. No object states necessary. https://indd.adobe.com/view/f3b1ce70-5b46-4063-998b-c4ab5147a614

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your intention correctly, you want a browse button that, when clicked, displays one state, and when clicked again, displays two states, clicked again, displays three states, etc.

Yes, this is quite simple to do. The trick is to create one state in which ALL elements are visible, create a button in that state and assign the "next state" action. Then duplicate that state as many times as you have display states. Select the first state, and hide everything with the layer panel. Select the next state, show the first item. Select the second state, show the first and second item, and so on.

I've attached a simple example file for you to inspect.

Duplicating states is simplest by dragging a state over the + icon at the bottom of the state object panel.

And be sure to install this plugin to simplify the work with states in InDesign, because it is rather painful without it.

https://www.automatication.com/index.php?id=25

Here is the example INDD file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19A5CW-j1EgEOjWbarypghMWlodd9gF8d/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks again for the help. For me sadly, I can't access the website. It has been like that since yesterday. I also didn't find an alternative link to the download on google either.

Can somebody link me to a download link maybe? 

Thanks in advance for any answere

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site is down for me as well.

Here is a quick Google drive link for the object state manager script:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12oBuHPQY1GiH4sJw5aRLyy_RlIi1m3SM/view?usp=sharing

The page with instructions can still be accessed via Waybackmachine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201021181245/https://www.automatication.com/index.php?id=25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll send Martinho a message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

He got right back to me. He's working on it so check back in a little while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines