Highlighted

epubs in CC2018: problems with endnotes, hyperlinks and classes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my documents I use endnotes (was initially very happy with the new feature) and I used to generate reflowable epubs (2.0.1) from an Indesign book with hardly any problems. Now, I have several:

• hyperlinks don't work in the endnotes anymore;
  • endnotes stop being numbered after the first occurence of a (non-working) hyperlink in a footnote. the numbers just disappear;
  • for some reason the 'h' disappears in names of class spans (e.g. "basicparagrap", "yperlink", "arc iefcodelink" (which should be "archiefcodelink");
  • I can get the endnotes to be numbered and linked in the epub, but to do that, I have to remove all hyperlinks and all instances of the character style 'hyperlink';
  • removing only one of those doesn't work, and stopping the style 'hyperlink' from emitting CSS and spans doesn't work either. I have to re-add the hyperlinks in the epub one by one to get everything to work the way it did before CC 2018;
  • Something else: I found out by accident that importing an rtf-document into Indesign to epub creates inexplicable language tags in the epub (it didn't do that before), so now I switched back to importing docx-documents into InDesign, but that presents me with other problems.

I'd appreciate any help with the endnote/hyperlink issue in particular.

Thanks!

Nancy

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

epubs in CC2018: problems with endnotes, hyperlinks and classes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my documents I use endnotes (was initially very happy with the new feature) and I used to generate reflowable epubs (2.0.1) from an Indesign book with hardly any problems. Now, I have several:

• hyperlinks don't work in the endnotes anymore;
  • endnotes stop being numbered after the first occurence of a (non-working) hyperlink in a footnote. the numbers just disappear;
  • for some reason the 'h' disappears in names of class spans (e.g. "basicparagrap", "yperlink", "arc iefcodelink" (which should be "archiefcodelink");
  • I can get the endnotes to be numbered and linked in the epub, but to do that, I have to remove all hyperlinks and all instances of the character style 'hyperlink';
  • removing only one of those doesn't work, and stopping the style 'hyperlink' from emitting CSS and spans doesn't work either. I have to re-add the hyperlinks in the epub one by one to get everything to work the way it did before CC 2018;
  • Something else: I found out by accident that importing an rtf-document into Indesign to epub creates inexplicable language tags in the epub (it didn't do that before), so now I switched back to importing docx-documents into InDesign, but that presents me with other problems.

I'd appreciate any help with the endnote/hyperlink issue in particular.

Thanks!

Nancy

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 04, 2017 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work with EPUB 3?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, exactly the same problems, including the missing 'h'. I've also tried it with our own CSS and one generated by InDesign, and both have the same problems as well. No notenumbers after a hyperlink, no hyperlinks and no h's. And I'm using exactly the same templates, styles and everything as I did in CC2017 (converted those to CC2018 without changing anything else). We didn't experience any of these problems then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: today, InDesign kept crashing and would only work after completely deleting and then reinstalling it. I needed to delete my preferences as well. The h's are back now, for some reason, but the other problems still exist.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with endnote numbers disappearing immediately after the first hyperlink, and hyperlinks being output as normal text rather than <a> tags.

It was also removing the character "f" from HTML classes (e.g. "first" became "irst"), but a restart fixed that one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate this breakdown of the problem. I couldn't figure out why only a few of my endnotes kept their cross referenced numbers when I exported to EPUB. I deleted my hyperlinks and the endnotes exported correctly. The URLs that I had created hyperlinks for were automatically linked in the EPUB without breaking the endnotes. This saved me a ton of epub corrections in Sigil after I exported. Thanks so much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2018 0
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I am having this same problem. I see this was posted 2017 and here we are in 2020. I am using CC2018 on a iMac pro running El Capitan 10.11.6. 

Exporting to EPUB 3.0.  I am missing the ref numbers after the first endnote. And hyperlinks in the notes don't work in the epub. (The ref numbers and hyperlinks do work in the InDesign doc.)

I have successfully exported EPUB with FOOTnotes that worked correctly in the EPUB but I don't recall if they had hyperlinks in the notes themselves. I have never exported a book with ENDnotes before.

My new Macbook Pro 2019  arrives in a week or so. Dunno if that will make a difference, but really don't want to hand code 280 notes. Arg.

Here's what the code looks like: (first note has the ref number) subsequent notes are just missing that. URL hyper links are just missing the a href code ...

<p class="FootNote"><span id="endnote-001"><a class="_idEndnoteAnchor _idGenColorInherit" href="#endnote-001-backlink">1</a>&#9;To learn more about the World Happiness Scale or Cantril Scale, see <span class="Hyperlink">http://news.gallup.com/poll/122453/Understanding-Gallup-Uses-Cantril-Scale.aspx?utm_source=link_news...>
<p class="FootNote">&#9;Martin E. P. Seligman, “Happiness is Not Enough,” F<span class="Italic _idGenCharOverride-3">lourish: A New Theory of Positive Psychology</span>, University of Pennsylvania, April 2011, <span class="Hyperlink">https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/newsletters/flourishnewsletters/newtheory</span></p>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020 0
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also here's what it looks like in story editor. The endnotes refs are there and the url links are there too. Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 4.06.11 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to upgrade your operating system and move to InDesign 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020 0
pH_Host LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing similar issues trying to export a book with endnotes and hyperlinks contained even with InD 2020. It's not exporting the endnotes backlinks properly and with active hyperlinks it crashes down during the export. So is there a way how to get books with theese requisites exported properly somehow at the moment?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0