• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: Cannot Place this file. No filter found for requested operation.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a catalogue design for a company where all the products info fields are edited as necessary in a spreadsheet. Whenever stocks/prices change these spreadsheets are edited by that department, I open the catalogue design .indd file and update the linked spreadsheets in the design with the 'modified links' prompt. This has been working brilliantly for a number of years now and keeps all the different departments happy with their roles in the updating process. 

I've opened the document this week and all the spreadsheet files are returning error symbols in the links panel. When I try to relink them, I recieve the error box "Cannot Place this file. No filter found for requested operation." 

The file types being linked are .xlsx files. I've tried opening the file in two versions of InDesign - Adobe InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.3) and Adobe InDesign 2020 (15.1.3) I've tried closing and relaunching and resaving the spreadsheets and turning the computer itself off and on again and am stumped. Any help appreciated!

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Thanks for your replies, we believe we've found the issue. Someone in the product department had started opening the files in Google sheets to edit the lines instead of Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the path to files. You are need to have only latin character in the path to xlsx file. (exclude any cyrillic and symbols like á, ó, etc).

It looks like old bug from CS2 is alive again.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, George. All file names seem to be in order, none have changed from what they've been previously and none have accents. Bit of a mystery! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And stop here. Google Drive? Stop!

Again, let's try again.

Can you re-place your document exactly from simple path like C:\  and simple file name like 123.xlsx

Is this simple path says to you that you miss mystic filter?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DhallNash,

is the creator application of the xlsx files still the same or the same version as before?

Are you able to place and link older xlsx files from your workflow?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your replies, we believe we've found the issue. Someone in the product department had started opening the files in Google sheets to edit the lines instead of Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines