Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error code 5

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Indesign doesn't give any errors while saving the document, but the next time the file is opened the error message 'Cannot open "FileName.indd". The file "FileName.indd" is damaged and cannot be recovered (Error code: 5).'

How can I recover this file?

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 21.35.25.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more information:

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using. 

Do you have a backup of the file (Time Machine? Dropbox? Another backup method?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer.

My operating system:

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009)

3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 MB

InDesign version: 2018 CC • V.13.0

There is no backup of the file. 😞

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that I don't have good news. It appears your file is damaged and you cannot open it.

If you were using the latest version of InDesign (16.0, which came out October 2020), there would be feature which would offer to try to detect errors and correct the file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/recovery-undo.ug.html#recovery-as-se...

If you had a backup, you could use it to recover the file. It always highly recommended that you have a plan to backup your files to use in such a case.

Lacking that, you'll have to re-create the file, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default7unxt7sx868j,

I also see no chance to open this file. It might be damaged beyond repair.

About 230 kb of its file size are missing. At least that was the result after I ran the document against Werner Perplies' script WpsIndFileIdentifier:

EnUpt-2020-4.indd-WpsFileIdentifier-Result.PNG

Hm. Seems that this document is saved last time with a very early version of InDesign CC 2018. A version that had no bug fixes at all. Maybe that contributed to the issue?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good news, but more than one year too late perhaps.

Opened the posted InDesign document with InDesign 2022 on my Windows 10 machine.

A message came up, that the document was damaged with an option to repair the document through an Adobe service.

This worked very well ( in my opinion ). Here the download link to the repaired InDesign document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94f46mv9zc7c9a0/EnUpt-2020-4_recovered.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines