Highlighted

Error: The selected data source has one or more empty field names

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am opening up my InDesign files from 2011 and all seems to be in order. I am able to data merge the data source that I had already loaded into InDesign back in 2011. 

 

However, when I "Select Data Source" and select the SAME text file, I get the following error:

"The selected data source has one or more empty field names. Please fix the file or select another file."

 

I've tried all the files that used to work, new files, copy/pasted files, to no avail. I've also tried copying and pasting just the data into a new excel spreadsheet and that hasn't worked either. I am running InDesign 15.0.3.

 

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Neehan

 

Community Beginner
Correct answer by neehan | Community Beginner

I found the source of the problem! In the old data merge file, the image column is denoted by @Image and the image itself has a semi-colon in front of it:

 

Name @Image

Neehan :Neehan.jpg

 

But the new way to do it is simply:

Name @Image

Neehan Neehan.jpg

 

So that's it! Thanks again for your help!

Neehan

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

303

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error: The selected data source has one or more empty field names

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am opening up my InDesign files from 2011 and all seems to be in order. I am able to data merge the data source that I had already loaded into InDesign back in 2011. 

 

However, when I "Select Data Source" and select the SAME text file, I get the following error:

"The selected data source has one or more empty field names. Please fix the file or select another file."

 

I've tried all the files that used to work, new files, copy/pasted files, to no avail. I've also tried copying and pasting just the data into a new excel spreadsheet and that hasn't worked either. I am running InDesign 15.0.3.

 

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Neehan

 

Community Beginner
Correct answer by neehan | Community Beginner

I found the source of the problem! In the old data merge file, the image column is denoted by @Image and the image itself has a semi-colon in front of it:

 

Name @Image

Neehan :Neehan.jpg

 

But the new way to do it is simply:

Name @Image

Neehan Neehan.jpg

 

So that's it! Thanks again for your help!

Neehan

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

304

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-check the following:

A bit obvious, but check for missing field title/header on a column.

Text, including spaces, outside of the data area or unsupported hidden characters. (A good way to check this is to open the CSV or tab-delimited file in a text-only program and check for extrenious tabular data. I suggest Notepad++ for Windows and BBEdit for Mac.)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jun 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. 

 

I just came on here to say I was able to solve the problem!

 

When I clicked Select Data Source then selected the file, I checked the Show Import Options box. In that window, I changed the default ASCII encoding to UNICODE. 

 

Thanks!

Neehan

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would probably fall into the "unsupported" characters category.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jun 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wrong, my solution didn't work! It didn't give me an error message sure, but it also didn't update the file. I'm going to try Notepad ++ now and see. 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jun 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the source of the problem! In the old data merge file, the image column is denoted by @Image and the image itself has a semi-colon in front of it:

 

Name @Image

Neehan :Neehan.jpg

 

But the new way to do it is simply:

Name @Image

Neehan Neehan.jpg

 

So that's it! Thanks again for your help!

Neehan

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jun 11, 2020 1