Error when opening or saving Documents

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Customer gets the following failure message when opening some of the InDesign Documents (but only sometimes):

Das Dokument "SERVER: (PathToDocument):Document.indd" kann nicht geöffnet werden. Möglicherweise verfügen Sie nicht über die entsprechenden Zugriffsrechte, oder die Datei ist bereits geöffnet. 

Before that, the first time he open's the Document, the Document doesn't open, but the (Documenttittle).idlk File gets created. The abobe Failure Message comes then only when he clicks on the Document a second time to open and the Indesign Program with the Document does really open. When he then wants to save to Document, even with Save as, he get's the failure: InDesign kann die Datei nicht speichern. Anscheinend ist sie beschädigt.

Sorry, Failure messages are in German, as the Operating System is in German - but I wanted to post them in the Original Text and not tranlate them.

The User does have Full Rights for the Folder and this happens on a Synology Share as well as on a Windows File Server Share.

Here the Failure Messages:

InDesign Failure 1.pngInDesign Failure 2.png

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Would you mind sharing version of OS & InDesign? Are you trying to work on the files saved on network or local drive? Is this behavior happening with some specific files or all?

If you are working on files saved on a server, copy them on local drive and try working on it. Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Alex98A7 AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Thanks for helping me in this case. 

macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

Indesign v 15.1.2

When opening the Files form the local Harddisk it works without any error and the Files can also be stored after editing.

What I can say so far, is, that this Failure happens on lots of files, and no matter if they are on a Synology Share or a Windows File Server Share. But the failure does not always happen and also not always on the same File (according to the Customer).

Also I know that the Customer has a second Employee working with Files on the same Synology and File Server Share and he does never have this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Adobe doesn't officially support working off of a server even though we all do. What I would do to troubleshoot this issue is to move the project onto the local hard drive. Try opening the file again and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then you've isolated the problem to the server and you can reach out to your server support contact for assistance. It's unlikely that anyone here will be able to assist with your specific server configuration but at least you'll know where the source of the problem is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Alex98A7 AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chad,

I hoped to get more reply's from other sources to this problem.

Let me define that a bit mroe in detail again, maybe you do have more experience and a new idea. 

We have two people with Apple Computer "working the same way" on the same server (Synology NAS). But the problem only exists at one person. As of now we could not identify any difference between this two, but we also did not reinstall the operating System on this two MAC or the User Profile. But it seams as the Server should not be the problem, as one person is able to work without this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines