• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel charts pasting into InDesign are wrong size

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working to update an InDesign document that has excel charts which were originally pasted.  They look great ... they were all sized perfectly in Excel last time and pasted in at the correct size.  This time around, when I copy and paste the chart from Excel into InDesign ... the resulting pasted chart is resizing (larger than the size specified in Excel).

There are many many charts in this document and I don't want to have to manually resize every single chart.

Does anybody have any idea why it is resizing the charts?  I have a vague recollection of having this issue before ... many years ago, but don't remember why or what I might have done to fix.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Windows 7 Professional

Adobe Creative Cloud - InDesign CC 2017.1

Cheers!

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Save charts as PDF files. Then place the PDF file. That should lock in the size. Copy and paste is NOT always the best way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flower,

As per your query when you copy a chart from excel and paste directly in InDesign, it gets resized.

I tried to replicate the issue at my end, however, I was unable to do so.

Would you mind sharing a sample file and a sample chart to copy paste?

Also, share some screenshots how it works at your end.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Srishti, the same problem is hapening at my end as well. Please refer the attached screenshots:

1. The below image has a size W 6.1478 in x H 2.7087 in
    Abutharik5FDA_0-1605904283444.png

2. I have set up the chart in Excel with the same dimensions
    Abutharik5FDA_1-1605904340484.png
  3. Now, after cpying the chart from Excel to InDesign, what I get is the below screenshot:(the chart on top is the copied one)
    Abutharik5FDA_2-1605904398344.png

4. Additional note: The first chart you see in screenshot 1 is the copied chart as well. But at that time copy-pasting worked really well. Suppose you set up the width as 5 in in Excel, it will show the same in InDesign. It doesn't work anymore and it has become a headache!

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is that the charts are fine on one computer but if I open it on another (both using excel same version) they change size when they are pasted in.

They are perfect from one pc, too small on another. It doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save charts as PDF files. Then place the PDF file. That should lock in the size. Copy and paste is NOT always the best way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have 4 charts on one worksheet that end up on two different pages in InDesign, so that's not going to work so well. There's 60 charts in total.

PDF files will all end up as A4 pages with lots of blank space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize the image frames where you place the PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines