Highlighted

excel into indesign text block

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to take an excel spreadsheet. 3 columns and flow 2 of those into InDesign in a text block that I can run across 4 spreads. How is the best way to do this? I have found some older options and plugins but I am looking for some current options.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

excel into indesign text block

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to take an excel spreadsheet. 3 columns and flow 2 of those into InDesign in a text block that I can run across 4 spreads. How is the best way to do this? I have found some older options and plugins but I am looking for some current options.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the easiest way would be to place the excel sheet into InDesign as a table, and then delete the column that you don't need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. The columns are last name, first name, date. I don't need the date but I would need the names to be together<lastName>,<firstName> style. I have seen where you can do the merge in word :shudder: and copy and past it, I was hoping for something a little more dynamic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you need is a list of names, you do this as a data merge. The downside would be that each name would be in its own text box.

Another option would be to set up a fouth column in Excel with a formula to put in the first and last names with a comma and a space,

or add a column between first and last name columns that has only a comma and a space. You can then copy and paste the three columns as text, and then use find/change to remove the tabs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its too much to do it by hand you can try MyDataMerge if you're on a mac. Look for inline merge where you can data merge content flowing in a story .

If you're more the experimenting guy checkout http://www.ozalto.com/en/indesignsecrets-presents-our-inlinemerge-script/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines