• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export InDesign pages as animated gif

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I export pages in an InDesign doc as an animated gif.

I would like the gif to automatically progress from beginning to end of the book.

Almost like an auto progression in a slide show.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Hi Patricia,

don't know how many pages you want to process.

You could export the whole book to PDF files. One PDF file per page.

Then you work on with PhotoShop.

There is a script that comes with PhotoShop that can load a folder of images or PDFs to layers. Each image to its own layer.

From that you can create key frames with PhotoShop's timeline feature and export the result to animated GIF. For every key frame you do, a different layer ( a different rendered PDF page ) is visible in the st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. InDesign exports only the formats that you see in its export window. No (animated) GIF there, just PNG and JPG.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the person asked a simple question, as Indesign has an animation function, and the 'go to' for many people would be a gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would probably better using Photoshop to produce an animated GIF.

If you want animations in an InDesign document you can use the InDesign Publish Online feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way using the InDesign plug-in, in5 (at extra cost):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/in5-animated-gif-maker/dldadkjlkldanpbaicclkikgkgpgpflj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patricia,

don't know how many pages you want to process.

You could export the whole book to PDF files. One PDF file per page.

Then you work on with PhotoShop.

There is a script that comes with PhotoShop that can load a folder of images or PDFs to layers. Each image to its own layer.

From that you can create key frames with PhotoShop's timeline feature and export the result to animated GIF. For every key frame you do, a different layer ( a different rendered PDF page ) is visible in the stack of layers. Do that with the Alt key by clicking the Eye icon in PhotoShop's Layer panel. You can define the duration of every key frame in the timeline. You even could do tweens between single selected frames to do smooth blending.

Perhaps all the tasks in PhotoShop can be automated with a PhotoShop action. You could ask this in the PhotoShop forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uwe, I had tried uploading pdf pages to photoshop layers but ran into a problem with white backgrounds turning black in the final gif. After reading your message I tried it again after adding white to the background of all master pages in InDesign. This time it worked! Thank you, Patricia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unless I am missing something in the original question, I would export to pdf, play that full screen while using ScreenToGif free tool to record as a animated gif the flicking of the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the ScreenToGif FREE app ... so easy and simple! Thanks for the lead. It is kind of crazy that InDesign doesn't include a way to export animations. This was such a huge time (and $$) saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you have to remember that Indesign started as a layout tool, not a multimedia tool. It does cross over very well with both illustrator and photoshop, and even most of the other adobe programs all shake hands in one way or another. Let Indesign do what it was meant to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all fine but the fact is, there is no easy way to create gifs and indesign remains the fastest layout program. The industry is moving on, Adobe has been a milestone of it and needs to keep up to remain so.

——— Mac Studio M1 Max • 13.6" MacBook Air M2 • with latest MacOS + Adobe software updates ———

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While yes it started as a layout tool that doesn't mean it shouldn't have animation, if we thought that way photoshop wouldn't have basic animation in it and illustrator wouldn't include any 3D.

Indesign is the natural place that this sort of animation belongs. Here's why

1. Animation already exists in there
  2.  Social media is being created within indesign due to... 
  3.  It has mail merge and easy to update links to both local storage and cc library.
  4. There is a HUGE proven market for it (hello canva)

I feel like Adobe totally missed the boat on this one and lost millions of dollars by doing so, but I feel they could absolutely recoup those by catching back up with the current market needs. I tried using Adobe Express but It literally just grabs the cc file and places it down, if you update the cc file it doesn't update in express. So basically you're uploading creating a new file each time so there's no time efficiencies that you get through mail merge and links. By the time I do this I may as well use canva which has way more options and functionality. I would rather keep it on my computer locally and be able to create multiple pieces quickly and efficiently something which none of the other adobe software can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option exports InDesign pages as animated GIFs:

https://ajarproductions.com/blog/2019/10/11/how-to-create-an-animated-gif-with-indesign-in5/

(Disclosure: I'm the creator of this product)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite expesive, sadly 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another Adobe program for that, too...Creative Cloud Express. formerly Adobe Spark. Create in that software. It is not included in the CC bundle, however.

I believe we are being stretched too thin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the entire adobe creative cloud suite is $600/yr and ya'll want $240/yr for the most basic export function that InDesign should already provide in order to make their product usable for this one...small...project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photography Plan includes Photoshop, Lightroom and cloud storage for around $10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update on the in5 GIF Maker extension. We've just released version 3, which will let you turn InDesign animation into an MP4 video, which would allow you to create a finely-tuned animated GIF in Photoshop. We'll be uploading videos to our YouTube channel soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really awesome that you guys are picking up where Adobe has dropped the ball, I wish you all the best and will be checking that out on YouTube.  Unfortunately the price of IN5 is way too high for me personally, in Aus it's the same price as all the programs in the entire Adobe suite, monthly. 

——— Mac Studio M1 Max • 13.6" MacBook Air M2 • with latest MacOS + Adobe software updates ———

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Justin, this is great. I've been following in5 for a while but hesitant to push the button as transparent gifs aren't posible. Any chance of this being included in the near future? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, great question! By adding this video option, you'll be able to take a specific color and make it transparent in Photoshop when you finalize your GIF there. I'll create a video to show how to do this. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a bummer that InDesign does not allow you to export as a GIF. This would be an easy export function for InDesign to include. The In5 add-on is great but way too pricey. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use Photoshop to create an animated GIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say that's what most of us do, it's just bizarre they have an animation pane in indesign now but no ability to export the animation as anything other than epub or pdf, both useless for web. Extra steps in photoshop are tedious and it would be such an easy inclusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well photoshop doesn't have the same mail merge preview / file relinking /layout features that indesign has. I honestly think it's more useful than adobe thinks. This is the whole reason I have a Canva subscription that I would happily remove as I hate uploading images that I could just relink to on my computer and save a significant amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines