Highlighted

Export issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am trying to export my book draft into a pdf file but there is an issue I am encountering. The files get saved as a pdf but It doesn't show the page where you usually get the options such as changing the size etc. I need to save the file smaller. I basically press export, choose adobe pdf and then it saves it automatically. I am currently using InDesign cc 2014 and I am not sure what the problem is. 

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am trying to export my book draft into a pdf file but there is an issue I am encountering. The files get saved as a pdf but It doesn't show the page where you usually get the options such as changing the size etc. I need to save the file smaller. I basically press export, choose adobe pdf and then it saves it automatically. I am currently using InDesign cc 2014 and I am not sure what the problem is. 

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 31, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export PDF, do you choose the print option in the file dialog? That's the only way to get the choice of joboptions.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thank you for your reply. I do choose PDF (print) in the dialog but unfortunately I don´t get the choice of joboptions. It just saves the file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select File > Export and select Adobe PDF (Print) from the Format drop-down menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek for your reply. I do select file, export and then adobe pdf but then it just saves the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it in several ways:

• File > Print [NOT Export > Pdf (Print)] > Setup > choose "Paper size" and "Scale" settings

Or you could do it in this way

• File > Export > Adobe Pdf (Print)

and then open your pdf file in Acrobat Pro:

Toolls > Print production > Preflight > Scale Pages to specific size

Schermata 2020-04-01 alle 08.35.55.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any particular reason you're using InDesign 2014 rather than 2019/2020?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is too old and won´t allow downloading the latest version. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical working way is to start at the size you intend to output to. 

There's never been a setting on File>Export>PDF to change the size on export. 

You might be able to with File>Print and choosing PDF - but this workflow is no longer recommended - using File>Export and PDF is the best method.

If you need to resize your file for example from A4 up to A3 or A3 down to A4 - then blanket resizing isn't advised. 

That is - if you have 6pt text at A3 size - and scale it down to A4 for printing - then that text will then be 4.26pt - and if it might not be very legible when printed (unless printed in black or a dark colour).

What you can do if it's a scaling thing - scaling in the A size range, say from A2 to A3 or something like that - then I'd recommend starting a new document to the size you want it - and File>Place your InDesign document into the new document at the size you require. 

I think this still works -https://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files... - it would allow you to place a multipage Indesign file automatically.

Then use File>Export and export your new sized document to the size required. 

However, I revert to my original concern - scaling can have adverse effects on text or graphics when scaled too small - I'd highly recommend creating your document in the size you require from the start. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 1
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typical working way is to start at the size you intend to output to. 

There's never been a setting on File>Export>PDF to change the size on export. 

You might be able to with File>Print and choosing PDF - but this workflow is no longer recommended - using File>Export and PDF is the best method.

If you need to resize your file for example from A4 up to A3 or A3 down to A4 - then blanket resizing isn't advised. 

That is - if you have 6pt text at A3 size - and scale it down to A4 for printing - then that text will then be 4.26pt - and if it might not be very legible when printed (unless printed in black or a dark colour).

What you can do if it's a scaling thing - scaling in the A size range, say from A2 to A3 or something like that - then I'd recommend starting a new document to the size you want it - and File>Place your InDesign document into the new document at the size you require. 

I think this still works -https://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files... - it would allow you to place a multipage Indesign file automatically.

Then use File>Export and export your new sized document to the size required. 

However, I revert to my original concern - scaling can have adverse effects on text or graphics when scaled too small - I'd highly recommend creating your document in the size you require from the start. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 1