• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export issues for LinkedIn - poor quality type

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Hoping someone can help me out here... I'm trying to post a LinkedIn graphic I created for a client, and no matter what I try the photo in the background looks fine, but the type looks bitmapped and unclear. The original graphic was made in InDesign, but I've remade it in Photoshop & Illustrator, too. I've exported it at a vatiety of dimensions and DPIs, and they all look relatively the same - I've attached a screenshot from LinkedIn. Each file I upload looks fine on my computer, but terrible online. My client is freaking out. Anyone have any ideas for me? I've been at this for a while now and am out of ideas. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

If I look at the LinkedIn page code using Chrome’s developer tools, I can see that the image gets sampled to 600px wide no matter how large your original pixel dimensions are. There’s nothing you can do about that because LinkedIn is setting the width to 600px in the HTML code:

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please supply the original image you uploaded?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene, here are jpges made from InDesign at 72 & 300 dpi. Thanks!!

b2b-blogging_4-72.jpgb2b-blogging_4-300.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the LinkedIn post image dimension size should be 1200 x 628 pixels. If you want to work in InDesign set the document up as Web Intent at 1200 x 628, and export the page to PNG or JPEG at 72ppi—the exported image dimensions will be the same. Working at a larger pixel dimension wouldn’t likely help because the image would be resampled on the upload, and you obviously don’t want to work at a smaller pixel dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob! I just remade the file to your specs, and I'm still getting that bitmapping- here's a screenshot from LinkedIn.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 10.13.56 AM.png

Do you think there's a change that the client's color & font choice are fighting with LinkedIn's compression algorithm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinkedIn’s post spec is 1200 x 628, but that doesn’t mean it gets displayed at that size in the interface. In your capture the image is being scaled to 550 x 290, so it’s effectively getting downsampled to fit in the space and the text degrades as it is fit into the smaller pixel dimension. I don’t think there is anything you can do about it other than avoid small text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't posted it - but it looks ok on my screen when I'm on linked in 

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even looks good here.

b2b-blogging_4-72.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

72ppi

b2b-blogging_4-72.jpg

72 ppi

b2b-blogging_4-72.jpg

Using the sizing options for the forum images it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small 300ppi

b2b-blogging_4-300.jpg

Med 300

b2b-blogging_4-300.jpg

Large 300

b2b-blogging_4-300.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show me the post on Linkedin? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, you're amazing!! Thanks so much for looking at this. Unfortunately, ANY bitmapping or artifacts are problems for the client. I've noticed that the type looks significantly better when it's not on that pink background, but my client is insiting on it... we might need to have a chat about that today!

I agree that it looks fine, if not great in a lot of your screenshots, especially the 300dpi. Here's a link to my test page on Linkedin, and my many attepts at getting this right. www.linkedin.com/in/kim-test 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I look at the LinkedIn page code using Chrome’s developer tools, I can see that the image gets sampled to 600px wide no matter how large your original pixel dimensions are. There’s nothing you can do about that because LinkedIn is setting the width to 600px in the HTML code:

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks, Rob! I'm sending this to my client, and I'll try again with a 600px wide graphic. Can't hurt! This is so helpful, and it's nice to know that this isn't a design issue, it's a LinkedIn issue. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there is also a fair amount of compression when your upload is converted. I’m guessing dropping down to 600ppi won’t matter. This is a magnified capture from the LinkedIn page and you can see the heavy JPEG compression, which is not in the original.

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Rob. 600ppi didn't change a thing! I think the pink with the white text seems to maximize the compression. I'm trying to convince my client to let me change the colors. I don't have this trouble with other background colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did! 72 and 300 dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably want to stay with 1200 they may be using media queries for detecting  HDPI displays (ie Retina displays). The file you upload clearly isn’t being used in the page, so the format wouldn’t matter. I think any social media site is going to work like this—the page load time and file size is going to trump quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, good call on the retina displays. and - the 1200 did look better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@rob day to the rescue again. 

Great job! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines