• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export PDF failed. Cannot embed font Songti

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a Chinese document using the font 'Songti'. However, it's not allowing me to export the PDF because of licensing restrictions.

Songti is a system font that came with my macbook. Would there really be a licensing restriction on it?

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

I had this same problem and eventually discovered that Songti SC is the problem. Songti TC is fine. After changing all the Songti SC fonts in my document to Songti TC, the PDF export worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Please try following these steps and share your observations with us:

• There can be two fonts on system with the same name. Could you please check the Font book for the same?
  • Please create a new file with some sample text. Use the same font and let us know if it allows you to Export the file?
  • If not, try using a different font and check if it allows to export the file.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If s font has a flag which does not allow embedding you can export PDFs, but not flairs which force you to embed fonts like PDF/X…
Change the PDF setting so that it does not embed fonts. Open the PDF on the same computer, in Preflight search for outline font and apply this preflight profile. So the font is not live any more, but now you can create a PDF/X…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but there are potentially big problems with this advice.

If indeed the font in question has restrictions within the font file itself (typically the fsType field of the OS2 table within OpenType - CFF or TTF flavors - or TrueType fonts), you had better check the actual EULA (End User License Agreement) for the actual restrictions on use of the font. Many if not most fonts that prohibit embedding also have clauses in their EULAs that prohibit outlining and or rasterization as “workarounds” to the embedding restrictions. They may or may not provide licenses for such fonts without such restrictions, but be prepared to pay higher licensing fees and potentially royalties for per PDF or per view use of the fonts in question.

Note that I am absolutely not trying to justify such antics on the part of various font foundries. You should always check on a font's licensing terms, including embeddability and royalties on distribution of content using the font (either as embedded or otherwise). Personally, I consider any font that has onerous restrictions either against embedding in PDF (or EPS or ePub) or distribution and use of such documents (requiring royalties) as a useless font

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and eventually discovered that Songti SC is the problem. Songti TC is fine. After changing all the Songti SC fonts in my document to Songti TC, the PDF export worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's the same. My solution was not to use the typeface 'Black' . After deleting it everythings works, strangely enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution that worked for you. In case you experience a similar issue in the future, here is an article for troubleshooting PDF export issues that you can check.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines