Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export PDF with page number at the beginning of file name

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way for me to have Indesign automatically export seperate PDFs with the page number in the beginning of the file name instead of the end? For example "001_Flowers" instead of "Flowers_01"

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature which makes making each page (or page range) into a separate PDF only allows adding the page number after the file name. It was added in the InDesign CC 13.1 update in March 2018. This feature isn't editable and what you wish is not an option.

I believe you'd have to use scripting or perhaps GREP on the exported files to change the order after you had exported the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No built-in way, that I'm aware of but you can fake it. (Does it have to be 3 digits?),

When you export your PDF, give it the file name of "0", then when you check "Create Separate PDF files", delete the underscore from in front of ^P then add your ACTUAL filename after it (e.g _filename). If you had pages 1 thru 99, you'd get: 001_filename.pdf through 099_filename.pdf. This won't work if you have more than 99 pages as that will force the appended number to three digits, so you would get 0001_filename.pdf thru 0100_filename.pdf but you see where I'm going with this.  The other option is to invest in a batch filename renaming utility program to move your filenames around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very clever. I don't if it will work for the poster, but very clever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines