• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export selected pages to pdf

New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an solution to automatically fill out the number of selected pages from the page palette to the export dialog? I often export only few selected pages of the document as a PDF alone and have to list them.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jirka,

since you asked in the scripting forum:
Depending on your version of InDesign you can build your own script doing this.

Recently I showed, that it is possible to detect selected pages in the Pages panel by scripting.

For CS6 there is a flawless solution even to detect selected pages of the masters section.

For all other versions of InDesign that support property pageColor it is possible to detect all selected document pages.

Details for the dection mechanism can be found here in the forum.

You can build on that implementing a pre-defined range of selected pages for the PDF export dialog.

See:

active page vs selected page

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had seen something similar recently:

a similar script to the one presented by smartmix: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2173129

another use of the script to gather statistics based on colored pages by ozalto: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362324

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

exporting pages that are using a disctinct color label? No problem.

But the question of the OP was a bit different:

Can selected pages in the Pages panel be detected for export to PDF?

I answered this with a clear yes.

If you follow the link I gave in answer #1 you can see how this can be done.

With InDesign CS6 this is possible without a trace exploiting the value of optionalPage.

For CC and above we can exploit the value of pageColor.

That will leave traces, that should be made undone.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, I hit reply on the wrong part of the post. I was meaning to reply to smartmix's script submission as I'd seen loic posting progress of his color page percentage script on twitter.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use color label because it is a selection you can't loose. When I wrote this script I was editing a big file with a lot of pages, I needed to mark and export the modify pages without forgot them. I think it can be helpul even it does't answer the exact question: you can select the pages you need, apply a label and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No question. Your script is very helpful… 🙂

Just wanted to steer the discussion back to its origin: Selected pages.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The SmartMix script is so perfect for what I need, but there's an in between step that I'm missing.

First, I have a script that will pull content from the slugs, then assign a character style to that content. Easy enough to automate GREP find/change to do that...

Next step is to tell InDesign to find those pages with the particular character style and apply a specific color label to those pages.

Then I can run the SmartMix script, and I have the PDF that I need.

Can anyone help with that in between step to automate the apply color label by referencing character style??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I needed the feature you are searching for, but I did’t not find anything doing this. So I created a script that do exactly this action.

This script exports to PDF, JPG or PNG the pages marked with a color label, you can mark with more label and select what you need to export .

You can download it from https://smartmix.it/grafica-design/labeled-pages-exporter-indesign/

export-selected-page-indesign.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a more direct approach: Use ScriptUI to build a simple choose-from-list dialog and populate it with the names of the pages in the active document. The user selects pages using click, shift-click or control-click and the export script takes it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not?

http://lf.corullon.com.br/scripts_id_lfc/assets/bylfc_print_selected_pages2.rar

PS: using the export functions made by SmartMix​ and available in the shared script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines