Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export text with no colour to pdf

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have this InDesign Document which has these Headlines. However, I had to generate these headlines in Adobe Illustrator beforehand, since they are using a complex gradient, something InDesign does not support. In Illustrator I converted the Text objects into outlines, such as to prevent InDesign from applying any styling to those elements. 

However now i am trying to export this project as a .pdf file and i would like there to be the ability to "select" and "copy" all text elements, INCLUDING those headlines. 
All other pure text elements work flawlessly and can be selected as text, but, as expected, those special headlines can not. 
In an attempt to actually make those headlines selectable, i have created text fields containing exactly what it says in the headline, placed it directly over the headlines and made the text colour transparent.
This however does not work. When exporting the file as .pdf it will not show the text as selectable.

I tried to tick "Non-Printing Objects" in the "Include" tab in the "Export Adobe PDF" window, set "Export Layers" to "All Layers" in the "Options" Tab, turned off all compression, unticked "Compress Text and Line Art" and "Crop Image Data to Frames"..

At this point i am totally at a loss and don't know what to do anymore.. Please, if someone knows a workaround for this, that would be much apprechiated 🙂

I have included three screenshots to illustrate the problem

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Right nevermind i figured out a workaround.. Typical, i spent an hour trying to get this to work; first thing i try after posting this thread here turns out to be the solution..

I set the text boxes to some arbitrary colour and then changed the object opacity to 0%.. I really don't know why i did not think of this sooner.. sorry to have jumped the gun on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yeah i should have made this clear from the beginning:
The attached screenshot "InDesign2.png" has the text offset by 1px and stained red for demonstration purpose!
This text would normally be completely transparent (colour set to "none" but the object is still visible on the layers panel!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right nevermind i figured out a workaround.. Typical, i spent an hour trying to get this to work; first thing i try after posting this thread here turns out to be the solution..

I set the text boxes to some arbitrary colour and then changed the object opacity to 0%.. I really don't know why i did not think of this sooner.. sorry to have jumped the gun on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ghibliq,

thank you very much for sharing your solution!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's going to give you exactly what you need, but you may want to look into "Object Export Options" that can be found within the Object menu. This allows you to assign text to an image and allows screen reading technologies to "read" graphical elements. This is a pretty big field. Feel free to post more questions. A good place to start Googling is "Accessible PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response!

I am definitely going to check out that solution!

I really tried googling first, however i mainly used terms such as "export invisible text", "text color none in pdf" etc. I did not try "Accessible PDF" 🙂

Thanks again for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate. Happy to help. Sounds like you've already worked out a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines