Highlighted

Export to epub generates random spacing between words.

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document which I would like to export to epub. However, when I export to epub (fixed layout) random spaces are inserted in-between words where they do not exist in the original InDesign document. Additionally, other words are squished together rather than spaced too far apart. I have tried changing a variety of settings to no avail. See attached image for erroneous spacing examples at the top and bottom of the image.

spaces.PNG

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export to epub generates random spacing between words.

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document which I would like to export to epub. However, when I export to epub (fixed layout) random spaces are inserted in-between words where they do not exist in the original InDesign document. Additionally, other words are squished together rather than spaced too far apart. I have tried changing a variety of settings to no avail. See attached image for erroneous spacing examples at the top and bottom of the image.

spaces.PNG

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of ID? What operating system? What fonts are affected? Are they OpenType? What EPUB reader are you testing on?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick reply! I am using CC 13.1 on a Windows machine. Cambria regular and bold are the only fonts in my document... I'm not sure about the OpenTyp question. The only reader that will open the file is Microsoft Edge. Chrome and IE will not open the epub. Hope this helps. Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to update Windows 10 to 1809. It should be available very soon.

You can also Google for Readium 2.0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that due to the font I am using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It is due to the fact that until 1809, Edge was garbage for reading EPUBs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am get this same problem. On my computer the file renders just fine the correct spacing in place. The problem comes when I try to few that same file on a mobile device, weather tablet or phone, spaces between words are random. Has a fixed be indentified for this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0