Highlighted

Export to Kindle in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone help me export an ebook created in InDesign to the reading format on the Kindle?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export to Kindle in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone help me export an ebook created in InDesign to the reading format on the Kindle?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create an ePub from an InDesign document first, by exporting to the format. There are two kinds of ePub: a Reflowable ePubs (for text-heavy books) and Fixed Layout ePubs (for illustrated books), Having created the ePub, and validated it, you can use the free converter from Amazon to create a mobi file, which is the format the Kindle uses.

Linkedin Learning have useful online video tutorials on how to create these formats. You can get 30-days free access.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 2
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to what Derek suggested, you may click on help article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/export-content-epub-cc.html to know how you can create EPUB using InDesign. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for this. I have a fixed layout ePub created by InDesign for Apple Books. Is Kindle Create still required, or helpful? So you'd need to export a PDF from InDesign, import it into Kindle Create and go from there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Guru ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So you'd need to export a PDF from InDesign, import it into Kindle Create and go from there?"

Yes, that's the way to create a Fixed Layout for Kindle. Very simple process.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I'm trying to do the same thing but I'm having trouble. I've got a reflowable epub document and I'm trying to figure out how to also create a kindle version. When I go to kindle create, it only recognizes .kcb files when I go to open existing file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Marvest LATEST
Guru ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reflowable epub you need to get the app Kindle Previewer. When you open your epub file with Kindle Previewer it gets automatically converted to a MOBI file. The mobi file is used then to publish on KDP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone producing FXL ePubs and who's on a Mac should have a look at CircularFLO:
https://www.circularflo.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 1