Highlighted

Export to PDF by Section

New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long pdf with many sections. Is it possible to automatically export all of the sections (with the section name as the document name) as seperate pdfs?

Or do I just manually have to export by page range for each pdf?

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export to PDF by Section

New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long pdf with many sections. Is it possible to automatically export all of the sections (with the section name as the document name) as seperate pdfs?

Or do I just manually have to export by page range for each pdf?

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Kelsey:

This is the InDesign forum, but you are starting with "I have a long PDF..." so are you trying to break up the PDF or the InDesign document into separate PDFs? 

Again, in InDesign, sections allow you to change the numbering system, and the Section Prefix is just an organizational tool in the Pages panel. It doesn't do anything but help you tell what section you are in, at a glance. Most people don't use them.

Options for you include:

• Divide the long InDesign file into a multi-chapter book, export the chapters/sections as separate PDFs;
  • Export the page ranges as you said; or
  • If you are using Bookmarks in InDesign (part of the TOC feature), Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) has a feature that allows yoou to split a PDF by top-level bookmarks.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 2
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I meant I have a long indesign doc that I am trying to separate into 30 PDFs. It was originally going to be 1 PDF, but my team would now like them separated. So I'm trying to see if there's a way to automate the process. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do need to export all sections to PDF, with the section-marker name as the file name, check out my (not free) https://www.id-extras.com/products/extract-pages/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 2
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelsey,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the great suggestions given earlier, I'd also request checking out the community discussion at https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/sections-how-to-export-sections-into-individual-pdf/td-p/101...
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1