Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to PDF stops at 99%

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi World,
Working on a complicated (but not too 😉 ) Brochure, exporting to PDF stops at 99%. Indesign does produce a PDF file, but when I try to make another one it's not possible because there is a task busy in the background. I cannot abort this PDF-export and not cancel it. I can't even save and close the document. The only way to get out is to force Indesign to stop, but sometimes the file will be damaged by that.
Anyone an answer? I hope so. Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try go back to 'old school' export routine.

Manual method:

1. Create blank text file “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.

2. Place it in:

MAC OS: /Applications/Adobe InDesign XX/Adobe InDesign XX.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Win: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign XX\DisableAsyncExports.txt

(that said, path where your ID is installed).

3. To get things back, just remove/rename that text file.

Alternatively, there are some free scripts effectively doing the same, like Marijan Tompa's 'tomaxxi' controlBackgroundExport.jsx, one to name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tynke,

We are very sorry to hear about this. I would like to know if the method suggested by Winterm worked for you? If not, please share following details like:

Operating System (Exact Version of Windows or MAC)

Exact Version of InDesign

Is it happening on a particular file? If yes, would you mind sharing your file?

If it is happening with multiple files, where the files are saved?

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this disaster called Indesign be put in a position to be used? i am using version 2021 and still this flaw is not fixed? How is it possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EnricoBft wrote:

When will this disaster called Indesign be put in a position to be used? i am using version 2021 and still this flaw is not fixed? How is it possible?

Stuff like this is usually not an issue with InDesign. It's a problem with something in the InDesign file. It could be as simple as a linked image with a name that uses illegal characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use half-blade method to find and delete bugged page/object

Closure of Indesign when I try to export a file

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a very active problem. My complex brochure hangs at 99%, the export appears to work, but I have to manually close Indesign to have any hope of doing anything else. Annoying when you have multiple different exports to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old post--you should consider starting a new post. 

However...

What are your computer specs?

What happens if you disable background processing for the PDF?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Stef5E0C ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the steps shared in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/pdf-export-background-task-hangs.html and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines