Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from InDesign as PDF

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a single page with a photo.

When I drop in the photo and export the page as a PDF directly, it is 800 KB.

However, when I drop in and resize it to fit a rectangle; the PDF jumps to 2 MB after exporting.

Has anyone experienced this before / a solution to deal with this?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the fit to rectangle scaling the image up or down? When you scale an image its Effective Resolution changes, and your preset’s Compresion Settings might handle the image differently. The default is to sample down images that have an effective res over 450ppi.

Also try a Save As before you export and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fit to rectangle would be scaling the image down.

I have an inkling the problem lies in the original image itself. I have another page with 10 photos (about 500kb each) and the PDF is barely 900 KB.

Have tried the Save As, the best I have gotten is a 1.9 MB after numerous tries findling with the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you scale the image down you are showing more of the image. InDesign removes the cropped data in an image. By showing more image you are embedding more of the photo, making the file larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the resized (resampled) image is not able to utilize compression as well as the unsized image.

One way to deal with this issue is to resize images in Photoshop, place into Indesign at 100% size. Although there are scripts to automate this process, my opinion is that this would be unnecessary for trying to preserve file size. If image quality was a factor, then I would consider PS resizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this method but the exported PDF remains at 2 MB.

Is there a reason why the resized image is unable to utilise compression as well as the unsized one? I have another page with 10 photos (500 kb each that I also resized down) and the exported PDF is barely 900 KB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like there is something about the particular image. Can you share it via your CC account or Dropbox? There is a known issue with Photoshop files accumulating history metadata and passing it to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format are your photos?

What PDF export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines