• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting inDesign IDML file to Apple ibooks author, missing graphics, fonts

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to publish my book on Apple Books. Hence I took my Indesign file (rich with graphics and custom fonts) and exported it as a IDML file. I then tried to open it in iBooks Author, the suggested tool for transferring files to the apple iBooks store.

The file after I inserted  into iBooks author as a chapter is missing all my custom fonts as well as all the graphics. The graphics in my InDesign file were all linked and in a separate folder. The graphics in iBooks in the imported chapter are all in blank frames with a quesiton mark. I used the proper import media and graphics option when importing it into he file into iBooks. Does IDML file only save text? The graphics are separate? Do I have to transfer the graphics folder to the Mac separately? Where would it kept for it to link to my IDML file in iBooks?

Also what to do about the fonts? Do I have to preinstall all the fonts on the Mac as well? The font issue, I can sort of understand, but don't know what to do about the missing graphics. Your help most appreciated.

I am using Indesign 2019 (from the CC set.)

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you take a course in iBooks Author – Linkedin Learning have several online video tutorials (you can get 30-days free access), such as: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/ibooks-author-essential-training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, so I bought this course you suggested. Going through it now. But it seems that it is a version of a page layout pgrogram. I have to redo the whole book anew. That I am hoping not to do. I am able to create pdf and epub files from Indesign and that is what I am hoping to use. Is that a possibility in Mac? I have created Kindle versions from my EPUB files and that seems like a piece of cake. The Mac process is seeming opaque. But perhaps I am missing something here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you find a solution for this? My picture is not linked in iBooks author but is linked in my indesign file… 

best regards /Ulrika 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like ibookautor can take .ai-files from the exported indesign-file. But if you put the picture direct in ibook it works…

when i place .png in indesign before i export it, then export to idml it works fine with the picture in ibooks author… that's strange, is it not? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application do you want to use? I think you're mistaking ibooks author for the Books app which reads epubs on Mac and iOS.

IDML is not in anyway the right way to do this. Export to Fixed Layout EPUB and then open that in the Books app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 🙂
I work in iBook author. I'm going to convert 7-8 books (educational with a lots of illustrations) you mean thats is no good? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Have you worked a lot Apples book-solutions? I stumble a lot, but I know indesign by heart…  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Never used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to bad… 😄 I hope for someone to hold my hand in this project 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You're not likely to find that person here. If those documents are already in InDesign, then Fixed Layout EPUB would be a far easier route to take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines