Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting interactive PDF

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community,

I am currently working on an interactive PDF with Buttons etc. in InDesign. In the end it is supposed to be kinda a configurator for a product I am selling. Now I thought it would be great that later the user is restricted to use my buttons and isnt possible to just scroll through. I already informed myself and found out that you can not just disable the scroll function. While researching I found an answer where the different sites of the exported PDF were sites on their own - so no scrolling possible. The buttons still connected the singular sites and made it interactive this way. Is this only possible with scripting?

I hope I managed to formulate my answer understandable and I would be happy over any help you guys can provide.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

You'll probaly have problems with some of these intereactive elements with a PDF, an alternative you might consider is InDesign's Publish Online – it would be easy to test the idea using your existing InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need a website, not a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that its something complicated I am asking for. I just saw the possibility with the multiple PDF Pages and was wondering if someone has an answer to it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you want to do is probably technically possible, although would not be easy. Using templates and spawning/deleting pages with a JavaScript you would be in the ball park of what you want to achieve .......

BUT are all your user going to be using Adobe Reader DC, are they going to be on mobile devices,  as once you add in these extra factors as @BobLevine stated you want a website.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. I figure it will get a bit to complicated and I dont really have the time to get in the Script part at the moment.

I will just have to communicate to my users to stick to the interactives elements.

Thank you guys for the comments anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A website would be the logical choice for this, although you can create buttons in your PDF that can take you to any internet address (link), without the need for scripting. There are some other PDF options, you can use buttons to show and hide PDF layers created in InDesign or Illustrator, or use buttons to open other PDFs (or other files) attached to your PDF. The user would need to use Acrobat or Reader to take advantage of the buttons. Acrobat has excellent tools for editing interactive PDFs, Tools> Prepare form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to definitely checkt these PDF Options out. Havent worked in this direction much.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probaly have problems with some of these intereactive elements with a PDF, an alternative you might consider is InDesign's Publish Online – it would be easy to test the idea using your existing InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am gonna try this for sure. Sounds good.

Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linkedin Learning have a terrific online video tutorial on creating interactive documents with Publish Online (you can get 30-days free access):  https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-publish-online-2?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The advantages of Publish Online documents is they work on any device that has an HTML5 browser – PCs, Macs, Tablets and Smartphones. They are relatively easy to produce, if you know InDesign and such documents can include multimedia, hyperlinks etc. The disadvantages are that they are hosted on Adobe Servers only and you can't monetise the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines