Highlighted

Exporting to PDF from InDesign and random objects are dropped off

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exporting a file to PDF from INDD and random objects are being dropped off in the PDF (viewing in acrobat not preview). I have tried exporting it a dozen different ways and it keeps doing the same thing. The objects being dropped off are all links to an AI file, it is a report with a LOT of small icons, and a handful of icons on each page are disappearing once it gets to PDF. The doc is all CMYK. The linked AI file is all CMYK. Its only 24 pages long. There are no blend modes/transparencies used at all. The icons are all anchored objects embedded in the text. The ones that disappear are usually clustered, like the last set on a page. Any ideas?

Topics

Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting to PDF from InDesign and random objects are dropped off

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exporting a file to PDF from INDD and random objects are being dropped off in the PDF (viewing in acrobat not preview). I have tried exporting it a dozen different ways and it keeps doing the same thing. The objects being dropped off are all links to an AI file, it is a report with a LOT of small icons, and a handful of icons on each page are disappearing once it gets to PDF. The doc is all CMYK. The linked AI file is all CMYK. Its only 24 pages long. There are no blend modes/transparencies used at all. The icons are all anchored objects embedded in the text. The ones that disappear are usually clustered, like the last set on a page. Any ideas?

Topics

Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sample would probably assist in getting a response.

You might want to see what happens if you take the .AI file and save a copy as PDF using PDF/X-4 and then place the resultant PDF file instead of the .AI file. InDesign really doesn't support placing .AI directly. What InDesign really does is place the PDF content in a .AI file and depending upon how you saved that .AI file, there might not be any PDF content at all.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't send any screenshots bc it the report is confidential, but I just tried linking to PDF instead of the AI and it did not work, the same icons didn't appear. It is the weirdest thing. I link to AI a lot and it never does this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these white objects? Are they set to overprint?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
teedabb LATEST
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are gray, 50 K value, on a plain white background, and not set to overprint.

I tried exporting as an Interactive PDF and everything showed up, but the colors are all a little off since it ultimately needs to be in CMYK to print. I double checked the icons in question and everything is CMYK, no RGB. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines