Highlighted

Exporting to PDF stuck at 0%

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to export a document from InDesign 5.5 to PDF the file is stuck in the queue at 0% and I have to cancel the export in background tasks. I've tried restarting InDesign and my Mac (running Sierra 10.12.6), disabling Preflight, dumping the preferences file and exporting a new blank document but nothing seems to work.

I can export to PDF if I create a new Book and import my InDesign file into it and then export from the Book pop up menu but this isn't very convienient. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi fendr63,

yes, it's at the right place.

So this trick is working with InDesign CS6 and above and not with CS5.5.

Next thing you could do:

Use a script for PDF Export that utilizes the "old" export method from InDesign CS4 and below.

Let's see if I can still find the code I posted several years ago.

Found it there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-export-still-quot-working-away-quot-over-10-hours-to-export-to-pdf/m-p/9897960#M102452

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting to PDF stuck at 0%

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to export a document from InDesign 5.5 to PDF the file is stuck in the queue at 0% and I have to cancel the export in background tasks. I've tried restarting InDesign and my Mac (running Sierra 10.12.6), disabling Preflight, dumping the preferences file and exporting a new blank document but nothing seems to work.

I can export to PDF if I create a new Book and import my InDesign file into it and then export from the Book pop up menu but this isn't very convienient. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi fendr63,

Next thing you could do:

Use a script for PDF Export that utilizes the "old" export method from InDesign CS4 and below.

Found it there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-export-still-quot-working-away-quot-over-10-hours-to-export-to-pdf/m-p/9897960#M102452

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fendr63,

is this with every document? Also with one that contains not much?

Then I would say it's a compatibility issue between your old InDesign CS5.5 and your OS X 10.12.6.

What you can try:

Instead using a "background" process with background tasks try to export in "foreground" so that a progress bar is visible with your export to PDF or any export to other file types. You can change to that "mode" of exporting with the following steps:

[1] Quit InDesign

[2] Create a new text file with TextEdit with no formatting. That's a toggle mode with TextEdit.

[3] Save it to exactly that name: DisableAsyncExports.txt

[4] Put that text file to the folder where your InDesign CS5.5 application is installed.

[5] Restart InDesign and do your export.

NOTE: I never tested this with InDesign CS5.5. For InDesign CS6 this is working.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the reply. The issues happens with every document even an empty one. I've not had the issue before this week and have not updated either my OS or Indesign so it's odd that' it's suddenly causing a problem.

I've also noticed that the problem is only when exporting to PDF, every other format - jpeg, eps, etc work fine.

I've created the text file as you suggested, quit InDesign and dropped it into the folder that contains InDesign and restarted it but I still have background tasks. Can you have a look at the screenbrab please and let me know if the file is in the fight place.

indesign-location.jpeg

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update.

I've tried restarting, dumping the prefs etc again and I can now export to an Interactive PDF without problem. This isn't much use as my work is all print based so I need to be able to export multiple pages with crop/trim marks and bleed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fendr63,

Next thing you could do:

Found it there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-export-still-quot-working-away-quot-over-10-hours-t...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! You tried to export to PDF Interactive?

That's a totally different thing. My script is for export to PDF ( Print ) only.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For export to PDF (Print) please try my script that I linked to.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thanks, the script worked and I can now export print ready PDFs. It's a bit more long winded than just clicking cmd+e to export (it's now an automatic habit for me) but it does mean I can send jobs to the printers.

Thanks for your help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fendr63,

you can give every script in the Scripts panel a new keyboard shortcut.

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts…

From the help of InDesign CC, but with CS5.5 it's quiet the same, I think:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/customize-menus-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0