Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting to PDF

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am wondering if someone can help me with exporting a InDesign document to PDF. When I try to export the document, some of my content is cropped out randomly in sections. 

Thank you.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Sorry, I meant PDF/X-4. Is your Acrobat preferences for displaying overprint set to Always? there might be overprinting white elements which are only appearing in Acrobat because the overprint preference is set to Never.  Also, exporting your PDF as an interactive PDF would remove the overprinting, effectively hiding your art, hence the PDF/X-4 suggestion. Is the placed art .eps? if so, try re-saving as a different format. You may have a layer or layers in InDesign that are set to print (and exp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as PDF/X-4a and view the PDF in Acrobat or Reader. Any better?

If not, can you show a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke, Thank you for your help. I am only given the option to export the document to PDF/X-4 not PDF/X-4a and it is still not making a difference when I open it in Acrobat or Reader. 

I will attach a screenshot of an example of one of these pages - first of the file as it appears in InDesign and then the cropped image once I export to PDF. Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.16.05 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.15.42 pm.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such beast as PDF/X-4a, only PDF/X-4. But in any case, that would have nothing to do with the symptoms described.

Without the original or similar InDesign document (including linked assets, i.e. an InDesign package) exhibiting these symptoms, exact settings used for export, and the resultant PDF file, it is virtually impossible to guess what is really going on here.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov Isaacs, Thank you for your response. What then do you suggest I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I meant PDF/X-4. Is your Acrobat preferences for displaying overprint set to Always? there might be overprinting white elements which are only appearing in Acrobat because the overprint preference is set to Never.  Also, exporting your PDF as an interactive PDF would remove the overprinting, effectively hiding your art, hence the PDF/X-4 suggestion. Is the placed art .eps? if so, try re-saving as a different format. You may have a layer or layers in InDesign that are set to print (and export) but not show. Can you please send another screen shot showing everything unlocked and selected, or upload the packaged and zipped InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines